FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Audiovox SMT5600 Available On AT&T Now For $199.99
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seaflipper
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Got one today!!!! Reply with quote

Yep it's true. I called my local AT&T store after ordering one from NBO and my regular sales rep called me back and said they just got 10 in today. Anyway, I went down and got one and started playing with it right away. Nice phone.

It's well built. RF is excellent so far, voice quality is really really good. Fast menus compared to the old MPx200 which I used to have.

Looking forward to using it.
mbranscum
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seaflipper...can you give us a mini-review and mayby post a few pics later on??? Laughing
seaflipper
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbranscum wrote:
seaflipper...can you give us a mini-review and mayby post a few pics later on??? Laughing

I will try to do that for sure. Certainly I will get some pics up as soon as I take the SIM out of the 5600 and put it back in my v600 to snap some shots!
nikjones
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianchris wrote:
This is the one *I've* been waiting for....whoohooo!

One question: How is this unit's RF performance, compared to the MPx200, or the MPx220? TIA!!

Do you mean call signal/reception?

I live in rural Wales, UK where reception can be patchy and only once lost a call where I would've been OK with my previous phone. That was a Nokia 6310i which is the best I've ever encountered, so I'd say it is pretty good.

Nik
aristoBrat
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seaflipper wrote:
mbranscum wrote:

I will try to do that for sure. Certainly I will get some pics up as soon as I take the SIM out of the 5600 and put it back in my v600 to snap some shots!

Snap some shots FROM the 5600 too! Smile
shaskin
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just called the Pacific Place store in Seattle. They got 10 in, down to 4 in a couple of hours.

They got one on hold just for me... Very Happy
apeguero
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to the Downtown Boston AT&T WS Data store and played around with the demo. They don't have it in stock yet - this seems to be the case statewide as no store has them in stock. I must tell you, it is small and comfortable to hold and use. It responded pretty quickly to all my menu commands and the screen looks ausome.

I will definately get this phone over the MPX220 at Cingular. I wanted to get the Moto phone but I think it has too many bugs and a crappy screen. I think Moto rushed to beat Audiovox and therefore made the mortal mistake of launching a faulty product.

Anyway, look at what this phone has to offer, including WMP10, as well as working Bluetooth. All for $199.99. Nice.

Now I just have to decide on what mMode phone to get my wife. They have a nice looking Sony/Ericson candybar phone that looks attractive for $79 bucks. The T637, any comments on it? I may just get her that since the V505 is a bit steep at $199.99 Smile

Do you all know of a MS Money compatible program for this Smartphone software that will synch with my Money file?
mbranscum
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Excellent Review... Reply with quote

While we're waiitng on the reviews to come pouring in - here's a great in depth review of the Orange SPV version....same phone. Also included in the review is a sameple video clip taken with the phone!!! Laughing

http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?...age=1&pagenum=1
seaflipper
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Mini Review of Audiovox SMT5600 Reply with quote

What you get in the box:

Phone, battery, belt case with magnetic closure (not bad I might add for an included case), wall charger, MiniUSB sync cable, stereo headset, CD with Outlook 2002 & manual I assume (haven't broken the seal).

*NOTE: No miniSD card is included as appears to come with the other re-branded versions.

Phyisical quality of phone is very nice. It's solid in your hands. It's small. The keys have a good response to them, if a little bit small. I do find myself hitting the "home" key on accident instead of the "select" soft-key on ocassion, but this will be gotten used to, no big deal in my opinion.

Screen is very good. Perhaps not quite as nice as the MPx200 (at least as I remember it, it's been 6 months since I had it) and not quite as nice in some regards to my current V600 screen, but it's still VERY nice. It's clear to me that the screen has been tuned "down" for the sake of battery life. Screen is also actually readable outside, even in the sun! However, if you have polarized sunglasses like I do, it's hard to read the screen with them, but that is the case with many LCD's, I don't think that's an issue with the screen on this phone.

Call quality is excellent. I give it a 10 out of 10 so far as compared to all the cell phones I have had before. Each generation seems to get better, and this is no exception. Callers hear me loud and clear (one caller told me, and I quote "as good as it gets" about the clarity of the call). Ring tones are nice and loud, even at 4, so I know it goes higher. The vibrate on this phone is very good, it will rattle on your table.

RF seems to be strong as based upon 2 things:

a) bars (I know, not an absolute measure by any means) are often full in places where my MPx200 got 2 or 3, and it appears to get full bars when my v600 does not. As with any GSM phone, the bars are not a perfect measure of RF, but I did notice this. I think it has a better antenna.

b) calls held nice and strong today in my car in place I would expect minor breakup (downtown Seattle to be specific). AT&T has vastly improved coverage in between buildings in Seattle in the past year, but I did have a nice good quality call today in areas that have formerly given me trouble.

The true test will be over a few days and weeks. But out of the box, this beats the MPx200, no question as far as RF & Call quality go.

Speed It's fast. Much faster than the MPx200. I notice it's faster. A few lags here and there, but I don't notice the lags as much, and they are where you expect them: after waking up from sleep mode, or turning on Bluetooth, things like that. The lag is not all gone, but it's much improved so far.

mMode is FANTASTIC on this device. The new mMode stack was one of those things everyone complained about with the MPx200 (if you were an AT&T customer) and I must say it looks FABULOUS on this phone, especially the sites through mMode such as CNN etc that are specifically formatted for mMode. I think I will bump up to the unlimited mMode plan, I might actually use it! And it actually seems faster than my v600 on mMode, and faster certainly than the MPx200. It's not snappy on regular web pages as you would expect with GPRS, but not bad on pocket pages.

Tethering. I tethered this with my iPaq hx4700 with no problems. Once I got the correct dialing string for the phone it connects fast and I had no trouble connecting and checking email. The connection string to use is *99#

Camera: Well...it aint grand. But whad did you expect? Laughing I will say this, I haven't really taken any outdoors yet in good light, so it's probably going to be better in those conditions than in my office at night, but here are some shots from the camera:

A little blurry...gotta work at holding my hand really still!

Still a little blurry..keep it steady...

Ok, that's a little better. Maybe with practice it's high quality? Laughing

And for comparison, here is a shot from my V600 VGA camera of the Smartphone Thoughts website seen in picture #1 above:

The v600 doesn't have a great camera, but this shows you that the SMT5600 is a tad bit worse if you compare them to each other.

Video: Fun. No idea how to convert it to use on my computer, but it will be fun for video MMS's friends who have phones that are compatible. It's actually really fun to use as a way to distract your 3 1/2 year old...

Gripes? Minor at this point. You still can't seem to configure your POP3 email through the phone unless you use AT&T's online configurator (http://www.attwireless.com/smartphone) and even that doesn't have the SMT5600 as an option yet, but the MPx200 option works fine of course for the Audiovox. Also, I can't figure out yet how to make a speed dial for just Bluetooth. I can do it for "settings" and then 2 more key presses to BT, but so far no direct BT "on and off toggle" which is what I would like. Perhaps it's there and I haven't found it yet. Also, I seem to remember a key lock (hold and press the # key?) on the MPx200 to activate key lock. Of course on a flip phone it's not a big deal, but the only way to do it now is to go through the "Quick List" menu. No big deal, but again, a few extra keystrokes.

At this point that is all I have to say. So far, so good. Looking forward to putting this to the test, but I like what I see!

Feel free to ask me questions, I will do my best to answer what I can!

EDIT: I just had to add this...I just downloaded & installed betaplayer for Smartphone:

http://betaplayer.corecodec.org

and then installed the 160x216 24fps 192Kbit/s B-Frame 2-pass XviD of the Matrix preview...all I can say is: where do I get a 1 gb miniSD! HAH, it's really great quality. Sound is very nice through the speakers. I am very impressed with that.
cmorris
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks seaflipper! Look forward to hearing more about the battery life.

Regarding the lock - try pressing and holding the "End" key...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: