FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
auto time update when traveling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> AT&T Wireless - Cingular Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke009
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: auto time update when traveling Reply with quote

It's rare that I travel these days, but I'm on the east coast this week and was wondering if my 2125 shouldn't have picked up the current time zone from the towers here and adjusted my phone as such.

I could have sworn that some of my old devices picked up the current time and time zone when I traveled in the past.

Did I miss a setting?
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you didn't. Windows Mobile devices don't grab the time settings from the towers. I think this is done because not all towers/networks support it. Instead, it grabs the time off your pc when you sync.
zeke009
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
No you didn't. Windows Mobile devices don't grab the time settings from the towers. I think this is done because not all towers/networks support it. Instead, it grabs the time off your pc when you sync.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up Mike!

Wonder which device/carrier I had that did that...
Aerial, Voicestream, T-Mobile, AT&T Wireless...
Motorola, Nokia...

Who knows... thanks again
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AT&T TDMA did that - it was great to have that

But now your phone keeps track of what TZ you have set on the phone vs, the TZ of where you are.

I can see why, with a calendar that is all set to PST, I would hate for it all to shift into CST then EST if I'm flying across the US with a stopover.
PantherShade
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:

That's not entirely true. My Cingular 3125 automatically adjusted when I went from Boston, MA to San Juan, PR. Shocked

It didn't occur to me until I almost missed my return flight, when I noticed that my calendar entry for the flight wasn't what I remembered. Sad

If it's going to adust the time, it should at least give an option to adjust the schedule or leave it alone. Mad
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherShade wrote:
That's not entirely true. My Cingular 3125 automatically adjusted when I went from Boston, MA to San Juan, PR. Shocked

Calendar is another beast. I'll explain that in a second.

You must have changed the time settings on your phone or synced with your laptop where you had adjusted the time. I'm not sure how this works if you're using an exchange server. The phone doesn't automatically adjust when you roam. Unless that's something new in the 3125, but I don't think that's the case.

Calendar appointments are based on GMT. So whenever you adjust your time settings, your calendar will adjust as well. This is by design, however there's no clear answer among users if this is right or not. Some say yes, and some say no.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be an option you can set how you want. How long have we struggled and debated this and MS still gives us no options?

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
PantherShade
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
PantherShade wrote:

You must have changed the time settings on your phone or synced with your laptop where you had adjusted the time. I'm not sure how this works if you're using an exchange server. The phone doesn't automatically adjust when you roam. Unless that's something new in the 3125, but I don't think that's the case.

Nope. I don't own a laptop, and didn't sync with anything en route. All I did was turn off the phone while in flight and then turn it back on after landing. It automatically adjusted the time to match the local time. It did it again on the return trip.

But, the GMT thing explains the calendar. It's annoying, but at least it's explained. Smile
Daryl9jr
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings all. I have 2125 (wife's) and a 3125. The 2125 Does NOT auto adjust for local time zone, but 3125 does. We recently traveled from our home in Balitmore to Dallas and noted this occurance. Originally WM5 did not have that awareness, but it would seem that has been fixed in newer phones.
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My I607 Blackjack seems to update OTA as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> AT&T Wireless - Cingular All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: