FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
HTC QWERTY Candybar Smartphone to Ship as Vox?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: HTC QWERTY Candybar Smartphone to Ship as Vox? Reply with quote

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/1...p_libra_as_vox/

"HTC looks set to market its upcoming candybar smart phone with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard as the Vox, leaked roadmap slides reveal. The Taiwanese handset maker showed off the device in September as carrier UTStarcom's Libra. According to slides published in a report on Arabic-language webside CE4Arab.com, Vox is due to ship toward the end of Q2 2007, pitched as messaging-friendly phone rather than a PDA-phone replacement."

Is it a Smartphone or is it a Pocket PC Phone? You decide. I'm going with Smartphone. No sign of a stylus so presumably no touch screen. I think this device is great if it is the real thing. I have no reason to think HTC wouldn't make such a device. It takes care of the QWERTY vs keypad debate. It gives you the best of both worlds I think. If it comes to this side of the world I will have one in my hands a split second later. Smile

[BlackJack] [8525]
onlydarksets
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen shot is clearly a PPC Phone (pic on the left has the start menu coming down). Like you, this is my #1 phone if it actually comes out on Verizon like it's supposed to.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah good point about the menu. I'm hoping its just a cut and paste job for the visuals.

[BlackJack] [8525]
dstrauss
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size, size, size...

Now that I've had the Cingular Blackjack in my pocket for three weeks, I can't see going with a much thicker phone. By the looks of those pictures, it's as thick as the 8125. Just can't do that anymore; too spoiled.
alese
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screenshots are PPC Phone Edition, but it could be that it's actually a smartphone.
On the other hand Palm is calling it's Treos, smartphones...
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
Yeah good point about the menu. I'm hoping its just a cut and paste job for the visuals.

It's possible, because there's a Home button instead of a Windows button (which is the Pocket PC Phone equivalent). Hmmm.

--janak
tsaylor
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any directional keys or joystick. That makes me think it is a PPC Phone Edition.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im getting really annoyed with smartphone promotional material having screenshots of pocket pc's Sad

take a look at the new cingular blackjack commercial (the guy shuffling the phone like a deck of cards) if you want to know what i mean. at the end when they are just showing the blackjack by itself, there is a pocket pc layout on the screen. don't carriers they have a QA team to check these things before they are sent out into the world? Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsaylor wrote:
I don't see any directional keys or joystick. That makes me think it is a PPC Phone Edition.

Now that is a big deal. Could very well be the Telltale Heart so to speak. Still it could just be a new design. Am I working this or what? Laughing

[BlackJack] [8525]
crispeto
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a smartphone and has all the high speed it should have, Jerry and I may be fighting for the same phone the split second it comes out Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: