Smartphone Thoughts

THOUGHT - Buying a Smartphone as a Gift?

Jerry Raia - Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:00 am
Post subject: Buying a Smartphone as a Gift?
I am curious. Are any of you thinking of buying anyone (or have you already bought) a Smartphone for a Christmas present? As you know it is not as simple as buying say, an iPod or a Camera. There is that activation aspect to the whole thing and what if the phone you want to get them is CDMA and they are GSM already? How would you handle the process of moving them and the phone number? Obviously the easiest scenario is if you are buying them a Cingular phone and the recipient already has Cingular, for example. Then there is the issue of plans. Would you buy them a gift that they would need to pay more per month to get full use out of? If you are kicking back today because you are all done shopping then ponder these issues with me and leave your thoughts here. If you aren't done shopping yet, get moving! Laughing
Kris Kumar - Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:53 am
Post subject:
Accessories are easy. That's what I bought.
sosha - Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:02 am
Post subject:
It isn't a smartphone, but I got the Cingular Samsung A707 for my husband. He wanted a straight forward phone with BIG buttons and a readable screen. At this point, I did not activate the data portion (eventho it's 3G). I'll give him the option to activate it if he wants it. Cingular's pretty good about that; they'll turn a data ($20) on, and, if he tells me it's not worth it, they'll deactivate it.

He's never used internet or email on a cell phone. But, this phone can do a lot of slick things. If it had WM5 on it, I'd be on it like white on rice.

Oh yea...does buying myself a Blackjack for Xmas count? Very Happy I think I'll need a new SIM card for the 3G, right?

P
Jerry Raia - Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:34 am
Post subject:
sosha wrote:
Oh yea...does buying myself a Blackjack for Xmas count? Very Happy I think I'll need a new SIM card for the 3G, right?

Yes it counts! I don't believe you need a new SIM card. Maybe someone here can confirm that.
xyphos - Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:50 pm
Post subject:
I bought my mom a blackjack Very Happy . I even opened it and took the liberty of putting a picture of her puppy as the homescreen background, added a ringtone of one of her other sons playing guitar, and in the calendar/tasks application I wrote notes to her saying things like "i love you" and "merry Christmas"
Jerry Raia - Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:09 pm
Post subject:
That's a great idea, to personalize it before you give it. Very Happy
OSUKid7 - Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:53 pm
Post subject:
No new Smartphone this year, but hopefully by next winter there'll be a slew of new WM6 devices out, and I can trade up and renew my Cingular contract. The big question for me in the next year is should I switch to a PPCPE Grinning devil, or go with another Smartphone. I love the small form-factor of Smartphones, but the features of the PPC OS are (imo) superior to the Smartphone OS. If they ever make a clamshell PPCPE, that's what I'll be getting. :werenotworthy:
Rocco Augusto - Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:07 pm
Post subject:
sosha wrote:

it depends, if you got your last phone after november 2005, chances are you might have a 3G SIM chip already. To check, look on the back of your SIM chip, somewhere on there it should say 3G.

if you are doing an upgrade and you need a need SIM chip, they should provide you with one for free. Smile
Jerry Raia - Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:22 pm
Post subject:
So you DO need a different SIM for 3G?
T-Will - Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:39 pm
Post subject:
xyphos wrote:
I bought my mom a blackjack Very Happy . I even opened it and took the liberty of putting a picture of her puppy as the homescreen background, added a ringtone of one of her other sons playing guitar, and in the calendar/tasks application I wrote notes to her saying things like "i love you" and "merry Christmas"

That's a great idea, I'll have to remember that for future reference! Smile
Kris Kumar - Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Post subject:
I will also have to steal it. Smile

But I think I am too lazy to execute it all the way thru. Sad
sosha - Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:28 pm
Post subject:
I popped the old SIM chip in the Blackjack and it popped up 3G. It's not a 3G SIM card.

I'll have to find some software to check the download speeds I'm getting. I did find an option to change it to 256 kbps. But, that still doesn't seem right.

Personalizing is a great idea. I did that with hubby's new phone too.
Stinger - Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:22 am
Post subject:
Quote:

It's down to the individual carrier. In Europe, generally you do need a new SIM (called a U-SIM) to access 3G services from your device. However, even without one, most phones will detect the 3G signal and display a 3G symbol.

I don't know if it's still true, but originally you didn't need to use a U-SIM in order to get 3G data speeds with Vodafone. It all depends on how the network is set up.

Luckily it's all backwardly compatible, so if you swap back to a 2G device you can still use your new 3G U-SIM.
mbranscum - Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:44 am
Post subject:
Jerry Raia wrote:

The one that will not work is white and says 32K on it.
Jerry Raia - Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:15 am
Post subject:
OK I think I have finally got this figured out. Regardless of what is on the front of the SIM card, on the back (the contact side) it will have a little "3G" there. Those are the ones that work I'm told. Smile
Mike Temporale - Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:12 am
Post subject:
Well, I got myself the BlackJack - and that was pretty recent, so I would consider it a xmas gift. But now it looks like I need to add a Excalibur to the line up too. So that will be my New Years present. Mr. Green
Jerry Raia - Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:24 am
Post subject:
Mike Temporale wrote:
So that will be my New Years present. Mr. Green

I like that concept! Laughing