Smartphone Thoughts

NEWS - MPx220 Available Soon From Cingular

Mike Temporale - Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:00 am
Post subject: MPx220 Available Soon From Cingular
We've received word that Best Buy already has Cingular branded MPx220 units in stock. The price will be $349.99 with a 2 year contract and the phone will be made available to the public in about 1 week. Employees are being trained on the devices in the coming days.
Kris Kumar - Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:39 am
Post subject:
2 year contract Sad I guess I will never get what I want Sad
Mike Temporale - Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:42 am
Post subject:
Kris Kumar wrote:
2 year contract Sad I guess I will never get what I want Sad

My guess then, is that this phone will go for around $550 unlocked without a contract. And of course that price will slowly drop over the course of time. What's your price point?

NOTE: this is only a guess... Real pricing without a contract is unknown at this time
brntcrsp - Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:23 am
Post subject:
if they expect any units to move then they will have to beat Orange's c500 Developer Phone price of ~$450 US. A 2 year contract with cingular? Please excuse my gfaw.
Kris Kumar - Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:31 am
Post subject:
brntcrsp wrote:
if they expect any units to move then they will have to beat Orange's c500 Developer Phone price of ~$450 US. A 2 year contract with cingular? Please excuse my gfaw.

I agree..$500 is a psychological barrier for me.

It has to be below $450. Infact $400 will make the product move off the shelf fast. I don't mind shelling out $500+ on a HP 63xx PPC Phone Edition. But Smartphone no way.

I am tempted to get the Orange Dev Kit phone, but resisting it only because it is a Tri-Band. I don't think $100 extra for just the Quad band is a good marketing tactic.
Jason Dunn - Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:35 am
Post subject:
brntcrsp wrote:

Nah, come on, how many consumers know/care about the C500 developers kit from Orange? I agree that $350 with a 2 year contract seems a bit high, but it will succeed of fail based on how well it compares to other phones that Cingular is selling, not some development kit from another country. Wink
mar2k - Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:49 am
Post subject:
Does Best Buy sell their phones without activation if you pay the higher price like at the Cingular stores, or is it only at the Cingular stores where you can get the No Commitment plans......anyone know?

I'm willing to shell out more cash, I just don't want a new contract now that I find myself without one.
possmann - Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:30 am
Post subject:
Well at least something is finally coming to market in the US - I'm gonna hold out for T-Mo's SDA products...
PPCMD - Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:43 am
Post subject:
How about 1 year contract pricing for the MPX220.
Gator5000e - Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:44 pm
Post subject:
A little competition for MPX 200? See this link showing the Audivox SMT5600 coming to AT&T Wireless.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13720&langId=-1

A thread on Howard Forums is saying the phone could show up within 2 weeks.

Tough decision, MPX 220 or Audiovox SMT5600.
Bushrod - Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:38 pm
Post subject:
Wow! We'll have viable choices! I'm so excited! Laughing
Kris Kumar - Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:31 pm
Post subject:
Gator5000e wrote:
A little competition for MPX 200? See this link showing the Audivox SMT5600 coming to AT&T Wireless.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13720&langId=-1

Thanks Gator5000e, I am so excited. I am going to post this on the main page soon. Smile
nordicnine - Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:54 pm
Post subject:
Gator5000e wrote:

For me, the MPx220 seems much more tempting, but I like flip phones.
The T-mobile SDA seems nice though and I really want the XDA compact.
Beowulf - Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:52 am
Post subject: Price tag out at Best Buy Cingular Display
I went to my local best buy in Downers Grove, IL, and I saw the price tag for the mpx220 next to the other Cingular phones, but no phone was on display. The price on it was $349 with a 2 year contract. There was another note on the price tag that said there would be a $150 up-charge if you purchased it without activation. On the specs it said that the phone had 64mb of memory (I read some rumors of a 32mb version). When I asked about buying the phone they said they did not have any in stock, and they were not sure when it would come in.

I'm currently on the ~18 month mark of a Cingular contract. Best Buy said I would have to ask Cingular about the possibility of upgrading without the $150 charge. Does anyone have any experience with Cingular doing this?

FYI if an admin reads this it might be a good time to create a Cingular forum Smile
Mike Temporale - Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:23 am
Post subject: Re: Price tag out at Best Buy Cingular Display
Beowulf wrote:
FYI if an admin reads this it might be a good time to create a Cingular forum Smile

Or rename the AT&T forum. Wink Anyone know what the final name will be once the merger is completed?
Jerry Raia - Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:31 am
Post subject:
i havent seen anything at the best buys in los angeles. I went to a cingular store yesterday and they told me a month before they get it. Mad
sn1p3t - Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:12 pm
Mike Temporale wrote:
Beowulf wrote:

Or rename the AT&T forum. Wink Anyone know what the final name will be once the merger is completed?

AT&lar

Enough with my stupid comments Razz. Best Buy's website doesn't show it available yet, and neither does a store here. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer ;P
me - Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:13 pm
Post subject:
possmann wrote:
Well at least something is finally coming to market in the US - I'm gonna hold out for T-Mo's SDA products...

I don't think there has been any indication that they will come out on T-Mobile USA, has there? I think it's pretty independent from T-Mobile in Europe.

I'm also a T-Mo USA customer, and am unhappy that all the new smartphones in the USA are coming out on ATT/Cingular!

It looks like the SDA is coming out on ATT too (from an article here), not with the name SDA, but as the C500, which I think is basically the same unit.

No announcements about good smartphones coming out on T-Mo USA! Crying or Very sad
Beowulf - Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:12 am
Post subject: mpx220 on ebay
For T-Mobile you could get an unlocked mpx220 and pop in the sim card.

I noticed some MPx220's popping up on ebay. Some of the auctions admit that they are engineering samples, and others just say its brand new. The people with real photos are showing the "black" version, while a few people asian sellers are using the silver factory pictures. Who knows what version you would actually get.
lurch - Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:32 pm
Post subject:
No MPx220 at my local Best Buy either -- the guy had no pity on me with my forlorn face, he just would say "I've never even heard of it."
allsaintsyouth - Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:28 am
Beowulf wrote:
I went to my local best buy in Downers Grove, IL, and I saw the price tag for the mpx220 next to the other Cingular phones, but no phone was on display. The price on it was $349 with a 2 year contract. There was another note on the price tag that said there would be a $150 up-charge if you purchased it without activation. On the specs it said that the phone had 64mb of memory (I read some rumors of a 32mb version). When I asked about buying the phone they said they did not have any in stock, and they were not sure when it would come in.

I'm currently on the ~18 month mark of a Cingular contract. Best Buy said I would have to ask Cingular about the possibility of upgrading without the $150 charge. Does anyone have any experience with Cingular doing this?

That's such crap--2 year contracts with cell phone companies? Geez, in Orlando we had Aerial Communications which became Voice Stream, which became T-Mobile, like all in less than 2 years. Cell phone companies are a dime a dozen and yet they make you get locked into these ridiculous contracts. Anybody remember PrimeCo (which is now part of the Verizon network now)? PrimeCo had NO contracts if you didn't want them--I think Sprint was the same way at one point.

I'm on Nextel--every time you upgrade a phone (and believe me, the discounts are nothing if you sign a contract--maybe $50 off of a $250 phone) you have to re-commit to another 2 years. That's crap! VoIP is going to knock cellular right out of business soon but AT&T, Cingular & Nextel are in no hurry to upgrade to VoIP--why? B/c all of us are stuck in 2 year contracts. It's garbage. I don't have a problem with 1 year, but with the way the industry changes, it seems to me that 2 year contracts are anti-competition, but if you don't sign them, you can't afford a good phone!

Anybody know when the i930 is coming out for Nextel? I already put an ad in the newspaper to sell my extra organs to pay for it.

-Jeff
smartphone fan - Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:12 pm
Beowulf wrote:

Same problem. I have a new cingular account ( less then one month old). They would allow me to buy the 220 for the $349, but I needed a new contract for two years. Cingular would treat it as an upgrade.

It seems that for the US, it is best to wait a month for the generic versions to appear at internet stores. Then you could just pop in your SIM and not worry about contracts...