Well since we dont have any 2003 phone in the mkt...Emulator is the only way to check out the features.
But I hate to run the Emulator thru the VC environment. I prefer direct command line execution.
So here is how its to be done...(wish MS had done a better job describing the process)
1. Download the Smartphone 2003 SDK from Microsoft site. (If the link does not work, look for the SDK in the Mobile Developer Downloads area.
2. I installed via the custom option, and chose not to install VC 4, coz I have VC3, and I am developing on it. Didnt want a clash !!
3. Well once the stuff is installed.
4. You will find the contents in \Program Files\Windows CE Tools\
5. Lets create a shortcut on ur desktop or wherever. In the shortcut TARGET put the following line (include the quotes, and correct the path/drive if required)
"C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\Common\Platman\bin\Emulator.exe" /CEImage "..\..\..\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation\SP_2003_WWE_VIRTUAL_RADIO.bin" /skin "..\..\..\wce420\SMARTPHONE 2003\Emulation\Smartphone_Emulator_Skin.xml" /MemorySize 64 /Ethernet true
6. In the shortcut START IN type in the following (this is usually put in automatically by the shortcut creation wizard)
"C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\Common\Platman\bin"
7. Now Double click the shortcut to Run the Smartphone Emulator
8. Njoy..but wait...
9. The first thing u want to play with is IE, after all thats the biggest improvement.
10. To use ur regular ethernet connection, u will have to add a Proxy Connection.
11. Settings->Data Connections->Menu->Edit Connections->Proxy Connections
13. Enter Description
14. 'Connects from', select 'Work'
15. 'Connects' to, select 'Internet'
16. Proxy info if u need it
18. Change 'Intenet Connection' from 'Automatic' to 'Netcard'
19. Now u can njoy...
Hope u guys find this useful...
Added download links for the SDK.
Can't believe I never included them in my original post.