FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Motorola, AT&T Announce MPx200 and US Launch Plans (FINALLY!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Levy
Smartphone Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Motorola, AT&T Announce MPx200 and US Launch Plans (FINA Reply with quote

Tomorrow, Microsoft and Motorola will be officially announcing an alliance that will lead to a number of exciting Windows Mobile-based devices along with devices becoming available in new markets around the world.

The first device that Motorola will unveil is the MPx200 Smartphone (pictured here). "The Motorola MPx200 with Microsoft Windows Mobile software introduces an entirely new mobile phone experience through the integration of “smart” software with small, stylish handsets. The MPx200 combines the convenience of a wireless mobile handset with the power and familiarity of Windows Mobile software for Smartphone."

AT&T says that they expect to bring this device to the United States market during the 4th quarter of this year. In the more immediate future, Orange will be selling this device in Europe starting next month.

Though a time line is not yet available, plans are underway to deliver this device in Germany (through Debitel), Portugal (through Optimus), South Africa (through MTM). Additionally, it will also be available through retail outlets in the Netherlands, Spain, Turkey, Russia, and Asia.

Here are some technical details from the MPx200 specification sheet:

• GSM 900/1,800/1,900 MHz GPRS (Europe, Middle East and Africa)
  • GSM 1,800/1,900 MHz GPRS (United States)
  • Size - 48 x 89 x 27 mm; 1.88 x 3.5 x 1.06 inches
  • Battery - Talk time: up to 270 min. Standby time: up to 112 hours
  • Vivid color display
  • External caller line ID display
  • Microsoft Windows Mobile software
  • Synchronization with Windows via Microsoft ActiveSync
  • Ability to wirelessly download all Smartphone applications
  • Audio and video capabilities with Windows Media Player supported by up to 1 gigabyte of secure digital storage
  • Utility Pack including file manager, task manager, space maker and system information
  • Downloading capabilities to customize the device with screen savers, home screen wallpapers and ring tones of choice
  • 32 megabytes ROM and 32 megabytes RAM
  • Mini-USB connection, IrDA port and a secure digital/multimedia memory card slot for easy file transfer
  • Clamshell design with chrome accents
  • Mini-USB port for accessories
  • SD/MMC card for memory expansion
While it is disappointing to see that this device is not running Smartphone 2003, the fact remains that we finally have a U.S. carrier making an official statement of their intentions to release the device within the next few months. And that is certainly worth celebrating.
brntcrsp
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off - here's me not holding my breath. It's not that i doubt we'll see a release, I just know I can't let myself get too worked up until the phone is in stores. Luckily, ATT is my provider so it will be an easy transition.

Second, I wonder what the proceedure will be like to get the phone either app unlocked or carrier unlocked. After seeing all the headaches that Orange went through, we can only hope that ATT took note and will make the process easier Exclamation
lmtuxinc
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All it needs is a camera !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rubberdemon
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about CDMA?? All these phones so far have been GSM, but my local GSM carriers are terrible, and I rely on CDMA. It has actually made me a Palm user for now (Kyocera 7035) because of this, and I yearn to be back in the comforting Redmond embrace. Well, at least I yearn not to transcribe all my damn WMA files into MP3s and other hassles I can do without...
dcharles
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr, it's not tri-band!!! I have ATT, but where I live in northeastern Pennsylvania most of the towers are 850, not 1900. That's why I had to recently dump my t68i. This phone will be virtually unusable in my area. Also, where's the BT??
mar2k
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the dual-band either, it makes no sense. GSM 1900 coverage in the US is sparse at best, if this was 850/1900 this would make much more sense. As it is, you might as well buy one of these unlocked phones from overseas as you can get 1800/1900 on those and then you can use it worldwide.

How stupid Mad
dave
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see that motorola is the manufacturer here... hopefully an iDEN version is in the works. does anyone know if this is even possible?

thanks,
dave
Birdman
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone prepared a comparison list or a pros/cons list comparing a PPCPE device to a SmartPHone device? I currently use a T-Mobile branded XDA in Toronto (on Rogers) and truthfully, I have not followed the smartphone evolution.

I have traditionally subscribed to the mantra that a PPCPE device is great for someone who uses a PDA a lot, and a cel phone, not that much. Is a smartphone device more for someone who uses a cel phone a lot, and a PDA device not that much?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanx.
aussie
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdman, it sort of depends. I was a dedicated iPAQ user for years (right from the start) and since getting a Red-e smartphone have put the iPAQ away.

Other than the PIM functionality which I used religiously I never really used the word/excel apps on the PPC and instead relied on the avantgo browser, and the MSFT reader applications mostly.

The smartphone is definately more a phone than a PIM but I find that the integrated PIM functionality (easy to dial anyone) and the integration with Outlook is fantastic.

I am on Rogers as well (Toronto) and love surfing the net through the phone, watching movies (SD card), and listening to MP3's all while travelling along the Lakeshore GO line.

Hope this helps, I recommend the smartphone to all I know.

Aussie
brntcrsp
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this too - you can preorder/request info on a MPx200 from ATT here: http://www.attws.com/specials/mpx200.jhtml . off I go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: