FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Step-by-Step: Setting up your i600 to connect your notebook to the Internet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Samsung-based Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cody
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Step-by-Step: Setting up your i600 to connect your notebook Reply with quote

You need to first purchase the "USB Sync Cable" from either Verizon or Samsung for $60 (or, to save a few bucks, you could use the somewhat bulkier docking station that came with the i600). The sync cable appears to be the same one as used for the Samsung i700 PocketPC Phone edition device, also sold by Verizon (apparently, a lot of the accessories for the i700 will also work with the i600).

*** DO NOT plug in your i600 into your notebook PC using the USB Sync cable until told to do so below. Connecting it too early may prevent the USB modem driver from being installed properly.

1) Make sure your i600 is not docked or otherwise connected to your PC (via the USB sync cable)
2) Stop ActiveSync (on your desktop) from using the USB ports via "Connection Settings" in ActiveSync by unchecking the "USB..." option.
3) Insert the "i600 Software Companion Disk" (that has outlook 2000 and activesync 3.7 on it) that came with the i600 into your PC. Cancel out of of the autorun startup app. (The root of this disk contains the "USB Modem" drivers that are needed below)
4) On your i600, go into "Settings", then "More", then "Phone Settings", then "Other". Select "External Data Call" for the USB option.
5) Connect your i600 to the PC by either docking it, or connecting it up with the USB Sync cable.
6) Windows will find new hardware ("USB Modem") and prompt for it's driver. Point the driver installer to the CD-ROM drive containing the disk dicussed above. It will then install the Samsung USB modem and it can then be seen under "Modems" in the Hardware Manager.
7) Create a new dial-up connection (on your desktop PC) with this info:

For Express Network up to 144kbps (must add a 'national access' option to your plan):
Number to Dial: #777
User: [email protected]
Password: vzw

For Quick2Net up to 14.4kbps (might need "mobile web" option added to your plan):
Number to Dial: #7772
User: qnc
Password: qnc

Thats it.

Notes:
---------
A) After installing the above USB Modem driver for the i600, you can then use your i600 as a normal modem for making regular data calls with programs such as PCAnywhere, etc. I do not know the maximum connection speed of the built-in modem of the i600 - my guess is 14.4k. You may even be able to make and receive Fax calls (by setting the Data/Fax mode in "Data Connections" of the "Settings" screen on the i600), but I have not tried this yet.

B) When using the i600 as a modem, I was unable to see any visual indication on the i600's screen that it was in use. Normally, the antenna icon in the top right-hand corner would change to a left and right arrow icon when connected the the Internet using the built-in Internet Explorer. But, when I connected my notebook to the net using the i600, the icon stayed as an antenna icon. So, if you don't pay attention, you may not realize the phone is off-hook and using up your minutes.

C) Even though the manual states that an icon with two bar graphs should appear when in data mode (to indicate send/receive activity), no such icon appeared either when connected to the Internet (via #777) or a regular PCAnywhere data call.

D) The "Modem Link" feature that is mentioned in the manual seems to only work for the connection "IrCOMM", which would allow your PC/Pocket PC to use the modem in the i600 without a USB cable (if your PC/Pocket PC has an IR Port). The "USB" option generates an error if you try to activate it, and the "Serial COM1:" won't generate an error, but I don't think there is a serial cable available for the i600 to use that port anyway.

Last edited by John Cody on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:56 am; edited 9 times in total
ARW
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find my CD with drivers on it. Does anybody know where I can download these from? Or if you have them could you pm me with them?

Thanks,

Al
John Cody
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARW wrote:
I can't find my CD with drivers on it. Does anybody know where I can download these from? Or if you have them could you pm me with them? Al

The cd doesnt specifically say "drivers" on it. Just find the cd that says "Microsoft Outlook 2000 and ActiveSync 3.7" on it - thats the right disk.

If you didn't get/find that disk, then contact Verizon for a replacement.
dgennetten
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: a couple corrections Reply with quote

You do not actually need the USB cable if your PC has an IR port. The phone can be configured as a modem via IR. Check the Accessories folder

Also, use of the quick2net capability does not require any additional account adjustment beyond regular time. You just have to know how to configure your setup.
txcas
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use the $15 mini sync cable that www.boxwave.com sells for the i700. It works like a dream. Thanks for the instructions.
John Cody
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txcas wrote:
You can also use the $15 mini sync cable that www.boxwave.com sells for the i700. It works like a dream. Thanks for the instructions.

That's a great find! Thanks txcas.
adept
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txcas wrote:
I just got this mini-sync cable yesterday from boxwave. Thanks for this suggestion, it works perfectly, and it charges my phone off the usb power too!

They have a listing on their site specifically for the i600 mini-sync now, I got that one. It's probably the same cable.

I followed the above instructions to connect to the express network, and I clocked my laptop at a steady 16KB/s (translates to 128kb/s), so with TCP overhead, verizon is truly supplying a 144kb connection. Props to Verizon Wireless for the great signal and speed, I'm a new user (formerly a t-mobile user). They give me 800 daytime minutes, free nights and weekends, and when I'm on the express network, I just use my voice minutes (that means it's free on the nights and weekends!), all for $60. That is a national calling plan, with no roaming charges on vzw roaming partners.

Sure, t-mobile was offering me unlimited GPRS for $3 per month, but it was so slow it was unusable!!! Sad

EDIT: I thought I would add that it will cost me an additional $45/month if I decide to upgrade my Express Network access to unlimited. It's tempting, but I'm just going to see if I can restrain myself to nights/weekends usage for now.
MajesticNJ
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some info about my i600 cable. Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I got this email from Boxwave today. It doesn't look good for us i600 owners. I also inquired as to wether or not I will get my shipping refunded. Notice how she says the i500 when I clearly said the i600?

=========================

Dear Fred,

Thank you for your email.

The situation with the Samsung i500 is more complicated than we had
expected, and we are unsure if a replacement will resolve the issues you are
experiencing. We are suggesting for our customers to return the unit for a
refund until we are able to find a solution for the Samsung i500.

To return an item for a refund, please send it along with a copy of this
email to:

BoxWave Returns
227 Bellevue Way #558
Bellevue, WA 98004

----- Original Message -----
To: "'BoxWave Customer Service'"
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 12:21 PM
Subject: RE: Your BoxWave order is on its way

> Got the cable and love it but I "do" have a problem with it.
>
> It appears that randomly, when plugged into my laptop, the phone will out
of
> the blue make 3 rapid tones or something like that. I pick it up and
notice
> the radio is off???? In one case I had to power the phone down and back up
> again. I don't get it. Why is that happening?
>
> It doesn't happen unless I am plugged into the cable. Did I get a bad
cable?
>
> Fred Block
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: BoxWave Customer Service [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 7:12 PM
> To: Fred Block
> Subject: Re: Your BoxWave order is on its way
>
> Dear Fred,
>
> Thank you for your email!
>
> Here is the tracking information you have requested:
> Airbill # ###########
>
> The miniSync that you will be receiving is the improved i600 model, so you
> should not encounter any problems while using it.
>
> Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments!
>
> Happy Holidays,
>
> Suzanne
> BoxWave Customer Service
> http://www.boxwave.com
solsavr
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the modem setup for the i600 will work if i must connect through a secure exchange server? If so, what do I need to tell the IT guys?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks Very Happy

BTW, I am using a Scan Plus Number
rkircher
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: a couple corrections Reply with quote

dgennetten wrote:
You do not actually need the USB cable if your PC has an IR port. The phone can be configured as a modem via IR. Check the Accessories folder.

Can you explain how to make the IR link? What Accessories Folder are you speeking about?

TIA
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Samsung-based Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: