FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
A New Smartphone Pet Peeve...Deleting Read-Only Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: A New Smartphone Pet Peeve...Deleting Read-Only Files Reply with quote

The C500 that Orange sent me had a 16 MB MiniSD card included with some demos. I wanted to move all the content off the card and use it for installing my own programs. Since MiniSD is so new and I have nothing that can read that card format (there was no MiniSD to SD adapter in the box from Orange) the only way I could clear it off was by using ActiveSync and manually manipulating the files on the card. I moved all the files from the card to my desktop, then tried to delete the folders from the card. It seems that all the CAB files for the trial software were read-only. So it prompted me to confirm that I wanted to delete the read-only files. I clicked yes. Then it prompted me again...and again...and again. There's no "Yes To All" option, and there should be. I don't imagine this scenario will come up very often, but why wouldn't Microsoft include the standard dialogue box options?
Fitch
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you can do a "No to all" option by holding the Shift key when doing stuff in regular windows explorer. I can't test it, but can you Shift-click "Yes" to get "Yes to all" to work?
wardy
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With original SD cards they have a read only tab which needs to be switched off when you want to delete files, I have not seen the mini-SD format but I would of thought they would have the same tab otherwise they would be mini-mmc cards?
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wardy wrote:
With original SD cards they have a read only tab which needs to be switched off when you want to delete files, I have not seen the mini-SD format but I would of thought they would have the same tab otherwise they would be mini-mmc cards?

miniSD cards don't have a lock switch on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: