FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Mobile Development No Longer Free? Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK Requires Visual Studio .NET 2005
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Mobile Development No Longer Free? Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK Re Reply with quote

Windows Mobile developers have enjoyed the benefit of having free development tools like the Microsoft eMbedded Visual Tools and that in turn has helped popularize Windows Mobile devices. Developers could adopt the Windows Mobile platform without upfront costs. This has lead to a number of free applications and has also plugged the growth of Palm. But now with Windows Mobile 5.0, it seems the developers will no longer have that luxury. I tried installing Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK for Smartphone and ran into the following error message. Shocked

I followed the link provided in the error message and found that the missing component is the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005. I was stunned to find that I cannot install the SDK and view the developer reference documents. Sad Evil or Very Mad What is Microsoft thinking? The developments tool required by the SDK is not free and the freebie version of the Visual Studio family, the Microsoft Visual Studio Express edition does not support mobile application development. Developers currently have to share a significant percentage of the sales with the online software stores, hosting their applications. They also have to in some cases bear the cost of getting the applications signed/certified. I know that you cannot make money without spending some. But Visual Studio development tool is not an inexpensive piece of software. I wonder if it will affect the free software market? What are your thoughts? Will this new "requirement" affect your development plans and most importantly the profit margin? Please share your thoughts.
MS Mobiles
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Development No Longer Free? Windows Mobile 5.0 SD Reply with quote

yeah, I knew about it already last year.

however now development will be possible also with one-language visual studio, like C# or vb.net and previously one needed whole visual studio. So price dropped from 1000 USD to 299USD.

it is a pity however that these SDK can't be installed just for the emulator's sake...
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Development No Longer Free? Windows Mobile 5.0 SD Reply with quote

MS Mobiles wrote:

however now development will be possible also with one-language visual studio, like C# or vb.net and previously one needed whole visual studio. So price dropped from 1000 USD to 299USD.

$299 price point is definitely not as scary as $1000. What is this version of VS called? Are you talking about the VS Express editions?

But I am really concerned about freebie app developers. Or folks who price their apps at $5.00. After the commission to the online store, they get around $2.50 in their pockets. Which means to break even they have to sell 100+ copies.

Personally I think Microsoft should enable Mobile app development in VS Express editions, which is the cheapest in the VS product line-up.

Or have a VS Mobile Edition. Which should be free as long as the developers are not selling the products.

The very least they can do is to remove the check for VS .NET 2005 from the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK installers. Evil or Very Mad
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Development No Longer Free? Windows Mobile 5.0 SD Reply with quote

MS Mobiles wrote:
it is a pity however that these SDK can't be installed just for the emulator's sake...

I think I read something about the emulator being available as a stand alone app. This decision was done for people who have to present mobile applications.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Development No Longer Free? Windows Mobile 5.0 SD Reply with quote

MS Mobiles wrote:

Oh I see, your saying that the developer doesn't have to buy the whole vs.net. They could just get visual C or Visual VB.net. While it is a solution, you loose a lot of the extra features that are loaded in the VS.net package. Plus, $299 US isn't cheap for a hobby developer that plans of doing some casual development. It's not cheap for a professional developer looking to start making mobile apps. By the time you pay for VS.net (or just Visual C) Plus application signing and then giving a cut to the online stores, you'll be lucky to recoup your invest inside of a couple years!
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Development No Longer Free? Windows Mobile 5.0 SD Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:

I think I read something about the emulator being available as a stand alone app. This decision was done for people who have to present mobile applications.

You are right Mike, the Emulator is a standalone application. But currently it ships with only the images for the WM2003SE for Smartphones and Pocket PCs. To get the run time images for the WM 5.0, you have to install the SDKs. Sad And that is where the trouble begins [the SDK won't install without the VS .NET 2005 Standard Edition or higher]. Evil or Very Mad

I hope when Microsoft releases the final version of the Microsoft Device Emulator, they will include the images for the WM 5.0. Or make them available as a separate download. Rolling Eyes
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a shame but not unexpected really. Now that MS has its foot in the door it feels it no longer needs to give away development tools. I think of all things to always give away or make cheap, development tools should be at the top of the list. There are a lot of nice little $5 apps out there. I hope this doesn't stop us from seeing more of them.
Pony99CA
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Forward Compatibility Reply with quote

Yes, it sucks that you can't develop true WM 5.0 applications for free, but applications developed with the free tools will still run on WM 5.0, right? You may not be able to take advantage of all of the new APIs, but your applications would also run on the significant installed base of WM 2003 and WM 2003 SE devices.

Steve
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Forward Compatibility Reply with quote

Pony99CA wrote:
...but applications developed with the free tools will still run on WM 5.0, right?

Good question Steve,

The answer is yes, the programs written using eVC4/eVC3 will run on WM 5.0. But the eVC4/eVC3 cannot be used to develop or test/connect to the new Smartphone or Pocket PC.

For more information, check out this post on Windows Mobile Development Tool Support Matrix Smile
MS Mobiles
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile Development No Longer Free? Windows Mobile 5.0 SD Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:

$299 price point is definitely not as scary as $1000. What is this version of VS called? Are you talking about the VS Express editions?
The very least they can do is to remove the check for VS .NET 2005 from the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK installers. Evil or Very Mad

No, it is not Express, it is single-language and is called "Visual C#" or "Visual Basic .NET" simply. As visual studio 2005 however these single language versions are not available yet.

299USD is price in USA and in EU unfortunately it will be 299 Euro what means 377 USD (yeah, we always suffer here in EU, contrary to good old USA).

removing the check for visual studio: good idea, however I doubt Microsoft will do it - Microsoft will want to prevent in this way a trick "how to develop .NET CF applications without visual studio" that I and my friend conceived once...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: