FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Sound Solutions Europe Receives Distribution Rights for Qtek 8300 and 8310
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sound Solutions Europe Receives Distribution Rights for Qtek Reply with quote

The folks over at Sounds Solutions Europe have informed us that they have received the official distribution rights for Qtek 8300 and Qtek 8310 in the US and UK. The official press release can be viewed over here. [PDF] The interesting thing mentioned in the press release is that these Smartphones will be become available in the last week of September. :clap:

The specification for the silver Qtek 8300 can be viewed over here and the specification for the black Qtek 8310 can be viewed over here. According to the details, none of the two models feature Wi-Fi. Sad I hope this information is incorrect. These models are based on the HTC Tornado series, which have optional Wi-Fi module. And I am sure all of our readers are counting on these models hitting the market with the Wi-Fi enabled. Another discrepancy I found was that the specifications stated that the models are Quad-band, but listed only three of the four network frequencies.
cortez
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: say it ain't so... Reply with quote

...man, if these phones arrive here in the US - via Cingular, T-Mobile or an independent retailer - without the wifi module, that would be very, very disappointing! and if they're tri-band vs. quad-band they'll be crossed off my list (of next smartphones) for sure. i hope this is a misprint..

Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eXpansys USA has the Qtek 8300 on pre-order for $509.95.

Qtek 8300
No word on the Qtek 8310.

Another interesting point is that the 8300 features states that it has WiFi. Smile
Mark Larson
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How useful will wifi be, exactly? I'm all for EDGE, but can't think of many occasions where I'll only be able to use my phone for internet and have wifi available.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Larson wrote:
How useful will wifi be, exactly? I'm all for EDGE, but can't think of many occasions where I'll only be able to use my phone for internet and have wifi available.

I think the mileage will vary depending on each individuals habits. For me, I have WiFi at home, and in the office. There are also numerous WiFi hotspots in different coffee shops and what not, that are only a short walk away. So, if I'm in one of those locations, I would much rather use WiFi and pull down my data quickly, and cheaply.
mpaquette
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next phone has to have WiFi, so I consider no WiFi to be a deal breaker. The number of hotspots is growing everyday. A phone with WiFi will finally make it possible to stop carrying my PDA everywhere I go.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Larson wrote:

The way I see it: on the GSM network EDGE does not provide speeds comparable to EV-DO (on Verizon or Sprint), so Wi-Fi is a cool solution. EDGE coverage is choppy, but the chances are that the areas that you spend most of your time like home and work will have Wi-Fi.
Omega2008
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tornado class has to varients, the HTC Faraday(music version and non music version which both DO NOT have wi-fi) and the HTC Riemma is the same thing as the Faraday and has the same two varients but WILL have wi-fi.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega2008 wrote:
The Tornado class has to varients, the HTC Faraday(music version and non music version which both DO NOT have wi-fi) and the HTC Riemma is the same thing as the Faraday and has the same two varients but WILL have wi-fi.

Ya, we've talked about the lack on WiFi on the Faraday over here.

I think HTC is making a big mistake having so many different varients of the same device. It just causes confusion amoungst the consumer. People are going to look at the Cingular model (HTC Faraday) and visually it's the same as the i-mate or qtek model, so they'll be expecting WiFi on the device. Sad
Omega2008
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly....its a shame, and could be a big blunder for Cingular because from what I heard T-Mobile is getting the Riemma which has wi-fi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: