FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Downloading Applications Using Your Smartphone - Let the Adventure Begin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Downloading Applications Using Your Smartphone - Let the Adv Reply with quote

In todays world of mobility, we should all be able to pull out our Smartphones, dial in a mobile software site and download the latest and greatest game, PIM tool, utility, or whatever suits your fancy. That seems like a reasonable level of expectation, right? Well, apparently that's asking too much. Recently I attempted just such a thing with the two largest online retailers of software for Windows Mobile Smartphones. I was just looking to download the trial version of a new application. I knew the application was listed on both sites, and was available for download in a CAB format. What follows is what I experienced while standing on the platform waiting for my train to arrive using my C500 Smartphone.
Company A
For some reason, the mobile version of this site is one of the biggest and most bloated things I have ever seen. In fact it was utterly disgraceful. They sell software to mobile users, yet their mobile web site is slow, graphic heavy, and requires a lot of scrolling to find things. When I pulled up their site in Pocket IE, I had to scroll down past a large logo, numerous "tabs" that just don't line up correctly to be useful, past a couple links for logging in or creating an account, before I hit the search box. Just past the search box is the new software link that I'm looking for. In total, it took 34 down taps on my phone before I got to the new software link. Shocked Alright, I'm this far along, lets click the link and view the new titles, right? Well, it's not that easy. Once the new page loads, I have to scroll all the way down, past all the same things as before, past a rather large full screen designed for Windows Mobile logo Confused and past a couple more site specific links before I see the 10 newest applications. Finally! I click on the application I was looking for and once again I need to scroll past all the same crap, big logo's, wasted graphics, poor layout, etc, etc, etc... Until I finally get to the applications description. I find the download link and hit it. After all that, I was really looking forward to getting this application and getting off that site. However, the fun doesn't end there. I got an error saying the file type is not supported by my device. Evil or Very Mad I know it's a CAB file since I checked before I left the office. At this point, I'm frustrated beyond belief, so I pack it in and move on to Company B. Hopefully things will be different with them.

Company B
The mobile version Company B's web site was actually very nice. It was light on graphics, the font was easily readable, and it was very easy to navigate. So what's the problem you ask? I really only had 1 small problem with this site. For some reason, it detected that I was on the Verizon network and would only let me see applications for the Verizon network. For those of you that don't know, I'm not in the US. Verizon doesn't even offer service here. I'm on Fido's network, and I'm using a C500 which is possibly the most popular Smartphone on the market. The only links presented to me were: browse the catalog, best sellers, my account, and my basket. While the browse link sounds like it might offer some hope, it doesn't. It lists a total of 80 applications (10 per page for 8 pages) and they don't appear to be in any sort of order. Sad Of course the best sellers link wasn't going to help me since the application I was looking for was new. That's where my adventures ended with this company. They didn't offer me anyway to select a different network or device.

The Solution
By now I was totally fed up with the whole process. Do these people even try to use the mobile web sites they have created? My last hope was to check out the developers web site. The developers web site was very nicely formated for mobile devices, but they didn't have a local download link. They had linked the downloads back to the two online retailers that I have already been too. Sad On the off chance that the download link might get me past the Verizon network sniff, I thought I would give it a go. Besides, finding the application on company A's website wasn't the problem - downloading was. My guess worked out and I was finally able to download and install the application.

Conclusions
It appears that the top online mobile software retailers have not taken the time to ensure that the mobile version of their web sites are usable by their customers. They're selling software to help us enable our mobile lifestyle, yet their web sites are so awkward and painful to use that it's just not worth doing. Does anyone have a nice story about searching for applications from your Smartphone? Maybe that will lift my spirits. Confused
Airscanner
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By companies A and B, I assume you're talking about Handango and PocketGear, but you are too nice to mention them by name Smile

Have I missed any others? I'm surprised there aren't more mom and pop software sites. Even the "enthusiast" sites, like this one and PocketPC Thoughts, could add quality and value to consumers while making a killing on revenue. But so far the entire mobile world seems to go with the flow and simply link to the Handango and/or PocketGear "top 10" stores. '

There is very little competition in this area, so the consumer feels it.
KTamas
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handango has their "InHand" application just for the record, BUT it can only display the TOP40 applications or something like that. But i totally agree with you, Handango's non-existing mobile webpage access is just ridiculus.

Last edited by KTamas on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed pretty sad that neither of the major Smartphone software stores really grasps the concept of mobility. Confused
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is as if they have become only a vehicle to sell the software with out really knowing what they are selling. It would be like me setting up an kitchen supply web site and not knowing how to boil water ( which I don't Laughing ).

[2125]
[8125]
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airscanner wrote:
Have I missed any others? I'm surprised there aren't more mom and pop software sites.

There are a couple smaller sites like PDATopSoft. But generally, most developers have choosen one or both of the top 2 sites. I would hazzard a guess that the biggest thing holding back the smaller mom & pop types is the lack of developers willing to deal with a wider range of retail sites. Sad
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTamas wrote:
Handango has their "InHand" application just for the record, BUT it can only display the TOP40 applications or something like that. But i totally agree with you, Handango's non-existing mobile webpage access is just ridiculus.

Ah yes, the InHand software. Which by the way, there was no download link for it when I was browsing their site with my phone. Confused
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are obviously in the early stages of evolution here. It might be a while before we see the kinds of sites we want but with this up coming crop of new Smartphones it might be sooner rather than later.

[2125]
[8125]
hotdram
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
... It would be like me setting up an kitchen supply web site and not knowing how to boil water ( which I don't Laughing ).

Boiling water is easy, it only takes three ingredients.
I just wish I knew where in the kitchen we kept the water.

~Rob
dbob
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: what about Skweezer? Reply with quote

I've read of this site which is supposed to help for this very situation.

Does anyone use skweezer and, if so, what do you have to report?

Also, companies A and B, etc., were designed for desktop users, not smartphone users who will access their sites from their phones. Gives one the idea that there is 'gold in them thar hills'.

All the people who want to make money please please raise your right hand.

Bob Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: