FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Picture Getting Clearer on Mobile Phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Picture Getting Clearer on Mobile Phones Reply with quote

http://news.com.com/Picture+getting...dht&tag=nl.e433

"Mobile-phone shipments long ago passed PC shipments, but most mobile-phone displays have yet to approach the resolution PC monitors started delivering many years ago. The excitement at shows like CES centers around impossibly large flat-panel televisions, but display manufacturers gathered here for the DisplaySearch U.S. FPD Conference this week are starting to talk about the small screen."

It would be nice to see some evolution in the display area and finally there is some rumbling noise. Here is one area where I have to hand it to Motorola. They made and I owned a StarTac with an OLED (Organic LED) display. In case you don't already know this type of LED emits it's own light. No back light is required as with standard LED's

Source: Edgar

[2125]
[8125]
egads
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even web browsing on a 1024x768 screen can be tedious let alone at 640x400 on a cell phone. To me cell phones and PDA's with browsers are toys you play with every now and then till they make you crazy, then you use a PC or laptop to do real browsing.

The only two advances I'd like to see in LCD's are cheaper prices and more readable in direct sun light...

Just my 2 cents Very Happy
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egads wrote:
Even web browsing on a 1024x768 screen can be tedious let alone at 640x400 on a cell phone. To me cell phones and PDA's with browsers are toys you play with every now and then till they make you crazy, then you use a PC or laptop to do real browsing.

I think it all depends on what you're browsing. Sure, the majority of the web is not tuned for a mobile device and you won't enjoy reading those sites on your device. However, sites like ours can be mobile friendly and nice to read.

As well, you have to think about custom applications from the enterprise. A well designed custom app can really take advantage of the power these devices have to offer. Browsing doesn't have to be tedious. Wink
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow-up on what Kris said over here

I'm not really concerned about higher resolution in my Smartphone. I would rather see an improvement in battery power, speed, range, and audio - to name a few things. Wink I'm not saying that a higher resolution device wouln't be nice, just that there are other things to worry about right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: