FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
The Explosive Growth of Mobile Music Downloads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: The Explosive Growth of Mobile Music Downloads Reply with quote

http://www.abiresearch.com/abiprdis...jsp?pressid=620

"The market for full track music downloads to mobile devices was twenty times larger at the end of 2005 than it was twelve months earlier, a new study from ABI Research has revealed. "Mobile Music Services" surveyed world markets for downloads of full music tracks, ringtones and ringback tones. It found that global revenues from over-the-air (OTA) downloaded full track songs last year were $251 million, up from $12.4 million in 2004. ABI Research forecasts that by 2011 this figure will be $9.3 billion."

I give up, I just can't stop phones from becoming media players can I? I admit it, I have been defeated! So does this mean that a phone that can only hold 100 songs and not download over the air wouldn't be a good idea? Laughing

Source: Mobile Analyst Watch
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Explosive Growth of Mobile Music Downloads Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
So does this mean that a phone that can only hold 100 songs and not download over the air wouldn't be a good idea? Laughing

ZING!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, and the internet (whether to the desktop or a mobile device directly) is killing the music industry, uh-huh.

Imagine this. An iPod with an EDGE card in it that can connect to i-Tunes over the air anywhere. No phone capability, just the same sort of thing Napster is doing with their subscription service, but wireless. Would people pay an extra $50-$100 for that and a $25-$35/month subscription? You bet they would. Would they buy a PPCPE or SP that can do it, and more, for less money? Probably not. Fascinating what white plastic and a fruit can do.
hastings
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fascinating what white plastic and a fruit can do.

Nicely put!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: