FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Troubleshooting Direct Push
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor


Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 9740
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Troubleshooting Direct Push Reply with quote

http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/a.../03/424028.aspx

"Direct Push is a client initiated HTTP connection to the server where the device opens a connection to the Exchange Server and keeps it alive for a duration known as the heartbeat interval. Basically the client sets up the connection, chooses the appropriate heartbeat interval and tears down and reestablishes the connection if and when necessary. The server sends notifications about new items over this connection and the client synchronizes to get the new items. A new AirSync command called PING has been introduced for Direct Push. This command is sent as part of the POST request from the device."

Vanitha Prabhakaran has written a really good article on troubleshooting Microsoft's Direct Push mobile email solution. She's even included a number or frequently asked questions. If you're having problems getting this setup, or if you're just interested in reading up and understanding more about how Direct Push works, then this article is for you. Very Happy

Source: Jason Langridge
_________________
"I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious" - Albert Einstein


Last edited by Mike Temporale on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mbranscum
Smartphone Theorist


Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Posts: 253

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article...I have direct push set up on both my 2125 and 8125 and it works flawlessly! Interestingly enough, I have heard some say what a heavy drain on the battery it is for the phone. I think these people have direct pust mixed up with TIMED PULL mail.

I can't really tell any difference on my battery drain with push turned on all the time. Cool
_________________
Mike Branscum
Cool Smartphone User Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor


Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 9740
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed a difference in my battery either. I think a large part of the battery issue is related to an incorrect timeout for IIS. If the Time to live is too short, then your phone has to keep waking up re-initialize the cycle.
_________________
"I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious" - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
looknow12
Smartphone Neophyte


Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbranscum wrote:
Great article...I have direct push set up on both my 2125 and 8125 and it works flawlessly! Interestingly enough, I have heard some say what a heavy drain on the battery it is for the phone. I think these people have direct pust mixed up with TIMED PULL mail.


What's the process for setting up these two phones. From anything I read it's pretty much automatic, set your schedule to When Items Arrive. But I did see a connection manager (on the internet) that said Direct Push on it and my devices have no such language on the screens.

I couldn't find the exact procedure, please help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor


Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1430
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think all this pushing and pulling sounds rude. whatever happened to just saying please?

post 513 Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
looknow12
Smartphone Neophyte


Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looknow12 wrote:
mbranscum wrote:
Great article...I have direct push set up on both my 2125 and 8125 and it works flawlessly! Interestingly enough, I have heard some say what a heavy drain on the battery it is for the phone. I think these people have direct pust mixed up with TIMED PULL mail.


What's the process for setting up these two phones. From anything I read it's pretty much automatic, set your schedule to When Items Arrive. But I did see a connection manager (on the internet) that said Direct Push on it and my devices have no such language on the screens.

I couldn't find the exact procedure, please help.


mbranscum was there any specific procedure you used to setting up the 8125? Are you sure you don't just have Update to Date Notifications via SMTP and Text Messaging?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
looknow12
Smartphone Neophyte


Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this article... http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials...Pack2-BETA.html

It won't be possible to use "Direct Push" on devices that don't yet have Messaging & Security Feature Pack installed. The 8125 and 2125 do not have this update yet.

quote from web site
Note:
Not all the mobility features which are to be included in the final version of Exchange 2003 SP2 is included in build 7623.0, as they’re pending for availability of Windows Mobile 5.0 devices that have the Messaging & Security Feature Pack installed. Also features such as an administration tool for the remote wipe feature will be released as a separate web release, as has previously been the case the Intelligent Message Filter (IMF), OWA Admin, and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (ExBPA) etc.


I think you are using the notification via SMTP or text message feature.

I emailed HTC regarding this update and this is what they said...

We work closely with the carrier, as a liaison between the carrier and Microsoft. Our devices are being tested very carefully, by the carriers, and they decide when the update is ready to launch. We have to make sure that it is stable before it hits the market, and since the US wireless market is run differently than the rest of the world, we have a bit of a delay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mbranscum
Smartphone Theorist


Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Posts: 253

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looknow12 wrote:
According to this article... http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials...Pack2-BETA.html

It won't be possible to use "Direct Push" on devices that don't yet have Messaging & Security Feature Pack installed. The 8125 and 2125 do not have this update yet.

quote from web site
Note:
Not all the mobility features which are to be included in the final version of Exchange 2003 SP2 is included in build 7623.0, as they’re pending for availability of Windows Mobile 5.0 devices that have the Messaging & Security Feature Pack installed. Also features such as an administration tool for the remote wipe feature will be released as a separate web release, as has previously been the case the Intelligent Message Filter (IMF), OWA Admin, and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (ExBPA) etc.


I think you are using the notification via SMTP or text message feature.

I emailed HTC regarding this update and this is what they said...

We work closely with the carrier, as a liaison between the carrier and Microsoft. Our devices are being tested very carefully, by the carriers, and they decide when the update is ready to launch. We have to make sure that it is stable before it hits the market, and since the US wireless market is run differently than the rest of the world, we have a bit of a delay.


People with pushmail on their 8125's and 2125's are not running a Cingular rom because, as you most correctly stated, it's not been released yet. However, the imate ROM on my 2125 and the customized ROM on my 8125 are very stable and have full pushmail capabilities. I do not believe the moderator's on this board approve of discussions of non-approved ROMS. You will have to do a search on the internet to get this info.
_________________
Mike Branscum
Cool Smartphone User Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor


Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 9740
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbranscum wrote:
I do not believe the moderator's on this board approve of discussions of non-approved ROMS. You will have to do a search on the internet to get this info.


You can talk about them all you want. I love to hear stories of unstable ROMs breaking phones. Wink We just don't allow linking to or sharing of copyrighted material - ROMs, MP3s, or whatever it may be. Smile
_________________
"I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious" - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mbranscum
Smartphone Theorist


Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Posts: 253

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
mbranscum wrote:
I do not believe the moderator's on this board approve of discussions of non-approved ROMS. You will have to do a search on the internet to get this info.


You can talk about them all you want. I love to hear stories of unstable ROMs breaking phones. Wink We just don't allow linking to or sharing of copyrighted material - ROMs, MP3s, or whatever it may be. Smile


Ok...cool, I just didn't want to break forum rules. Wink

With that in mind, I'll have to say I've had zero issues with the imate ROM on my 2125. I did have to do the mod to replace the G with the E. The pushmail syncing with exchange has been flawless! Radio on the phone seems just as good as before. The good folks at xda-developers had merged a cingular cab settings file with the 8125 modded ROM that even restores all the settings back to Cingular after ROM installation. No issues with that device either.

Here is what's cool with exchange sync. One week I carry my 2125. The next week I decide to carry my 8125. With OTA syncing, the calendar, email and contacts are synced almost immediately! No running to the computer to get a device up to date!

I believe the Cingular ROM is about to be released. I'm now seeing screen shots of it posted in a couple of places on the net! Smile
_________________
Mike Branscum
Cool Smartphone User Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Copyright 2004 Jason Dunn | Web design & development by Fabrizio Fiandanese