FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
ActiveSync 4.2 Beta Preview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> SOFTWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: ActiveSync 4.2 Beta Preview Reply with quote

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...tivesync42.mspx

"ActiveSync 4.2 Beta Preview is an early look at the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile devices. Microsoft ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. ActiveSync acts as the gateway between your Windows powered PC and Windows Mobile powered device, enabling the transfer of Outlook information, Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications from your desktop to your device. In addition to synchronizing with a desktop PC, ActiveSync can synchronize directly with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 so that you can keep your e-mail, Calendar, Notes, and Contacts updated wirelessly when you’re away from your PC."

Another update, and a beta no less, to the incredible ActiveSync. There seems to be no information, as with previous updates, as to what has changed or been fixed. Just install and enjoy the act of discovery! Any takers?
Mark Larson
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't wait to see what features they're going to get rid of this time. Will it be the ability to Bluetooth sync? Will they make it impossible to sync two devices on the same computer without completely wiping the hard drive and frying everything connected via USB?

I just can't wait to find out how badly they'll mess things up this time!

**Edited for language - MT
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beta should address issues with Outlook sync and desktop pass through. From what I can tell, that's the major parts of this update.
chrismarts
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: All I want... Reply with quote

All I want...is for it to stay in the system tray at *all times no matter what.* Don't pop up when I log in. Don't pop up in other user accounts on the same computer that don't use it.

And while you're at it, how about making it actually open/respond to user input in less than 3 seconds? I get that it's busy doing something, but it could at least show itself and tell me that!
Brandonjg
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Didn't fix my issue Reply with quote

I went ahead an installed the beta in hopes it would resolve my major issue with 4.x. Thats the one where you can't connect through USB while the Microsoft ISA Server Firewall Client is enabled. Sadly though, 4.2 doesnt improve this situation at all Sad

I would be more understanding if there were compatibility issues with other 3rd party firewalls but we are talking about their own damn product here. Evil or Very Mad
xultar
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: All I want... Reply with quote

chrismarts wrote:
All I want...is for it to stay in the system tray at *all times no matter what.* Don't pop up when I log in. Don't pop up in other user accounts on the same computer that don't use it.

And while you're at it, how about making it actually open/respond to user input in less than 3 seconds? I get that it's busy doing something, but it could at least show itself and tell me that!

Can't you just clear the open MS @ conect checkbox?
chrismarts
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want... Reply with quote

xultar wrote:
Can't you just clear the open MS @ conect checkbox?

Cleared. Still pops up.

My point is that it's always just been a little squirrely - when double-click opened from the taskbar, sometimes the window opens under other windows, sometimes the connection methods clear themselves, it opens itself up when I log in sometimes, etc...

I was hoping the 4.0 release would address some of that stuff but alas...
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is anyone using the 4.2? How does it work? Is it stable?
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it installed now, seems stable. I haven't noticed any difference yet.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
I have it installed now, seems stable. I haven't noticed any difference yet.

My understanding is there is no visual difference. All the changes are under the hood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> SOFTWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: