FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Teen Buzz, A Ring Tone That Only Teens Can Hear!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Teen Buzz, A Ring Tone That Only Teens Can Hear! Reply with quote

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/articl...31&in_page_id=2

"A high-pitched alarm which cannot be heard by adults has been hijacked by schoolchildren to create ringtones so they can get away with using phones in class. Techno-savvy pupils have adapted the Mosquito alarm, used to drive teenage gangs away from shopping centres. The alarm, which has been praised by police, is highly effective because its ultra-high sound can be heard only by youths but not by most people over 20. Schoolchildren have recorded the sound, which they named Teen Buzz, and spread it from phone to phone via text messages and Bluetooth technology. Now they can receive calls and texts during lessons without teachers having the faintest idea what is going on."

Recently while listening to the NPR news, I heard about this amazing invention called the "Mosquito." Believe it or not, this invention repels teenagers using a very high ultra-sonic tone that only teenagers can hear, and find annoying. Shocked Adults, especially those over the age of 30, cannot hear it and I checked it out myself. Smile Even more amazing aspect of this invention is that the teenagers have turned this concept around in their favour, they are using it as their cell phone ring tone. Now thanks to the Mosquito invention, the teachers have no idea when their students receive a text message. Now that's smart!
encece
Smartphone Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a link to that WAV file?
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

encece wrote:

direct download of the mp3 version of the ringtone can be found here .

you can also listen to it, if you do not want to download it, here at orange days

from what i read, from various sites, the actual Mosquito tone was created in the 17KHz frequency and the "Teen Buzz" ringtone was craeted in the 14.4Khz frequency so adults can hear it, they just have to be within a meter of the device. teenagers can hear it from greater distances.

word of caution. if listening to it dont turn your volume up to 100% in WMP. i almiost blew my speakers out. if you leave your phone at around 70-80% in WMP you can barely hear it. im waiting till i find some teenagers so i can play it to see what they do Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

encece wrote:

NPR news story has a link for the Teen Buzz.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't buy it. I can hear the sound just fine. Just another scam, IMHO.
SnozBerries
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this Mosquito sound and understand it requires a speaker which is capable of playing the high frequency sound. My headphones didn't work, but my desktop speakers did. Makes me wonder of the speakers in cell phones are really that good - I kind of doubt it. Playing MP3's on my cell phone doesn't sound very good.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
Yeah, I don't buy it. I can hear the sound just fine. Just another scam, IMHO.

the one from npr i could hear just fine. i played it for a customer in their 30's and if heard it too. the one i posted though i could not hear until i turned my speakers up and they sounded like they were gonna pop/blow out.

im still waiting till i find a random unsuspecting teenager to test it out on. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what kind of sound are you hearing? Is it screetch-screetch, beep-beep, tweet-tweet or chirp-chirp? Smile
vincenzosi
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear it perfectly. I'm 30!

It sounds like the silent hiss you get when a tv is turned on in your presence. You know the "sound" I'm talking about it. The way you know a TV is on even when it's silent and you didn't see it come on?

That one.
encece
Smartphone Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. On my phone...I hear it just fine at 80% volume. Gets distirted at higher volumes.

On the PC...it a clear high pitched tone but at a VERY low volume, even with my speakers all the way up.

I need to test this out on my son tomorrow morning to see at what levels he hears it. But I'm hoping at 38, I'm not as old as I thought I was! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: