FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Streaming live camera feeds to a WM5 device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Multimedia Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Castor500
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Streaming live camera feeds to a WM5 device Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am at a loss due to my lack of knowledge related to mobile devices; however, I believe what I want to do is possible.

I have a DVR system (digital video recorder; basically just a PCI video capture card using some software) running on a Dell with Windows XP and I can remotely access this system by entering the Dell's static IP address in an Internet Explorer address window. The window then opens an Active Ex app and I enter a username and password and the Active Ex app connects to the Dell and displays the feed from the cameras. This process works on any computer with a recent version of IE, no firewalls and all the Active Ex setting enabled.

I believe it is possible to remotely access my Dell from my mobile device running Windows Mobile 5 in the same way I can remotely connect from a computer with a recent version of IE.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice on this matter or if you have a better solution that circumvents my DVR software’s remote viewing option I am open to that as well.

I am providing the IP address and user name and password so you can access the cameras and see what you can get using regular IE and how you get it on your mobile devices.

Details:
IP address - 63.204.253.124
Username- bob
Password - bob
Computer - Dell Dimension 3100 Series, Intel Pentium 4Processor 521(2.80GHz) and 1MB cache @2Gigs of rams
Computer OS - Windows XP

Mobile OS - Windows Mobile 5
Device- T-Mobile MDA (No mods, bone stock)

I have been trying to figure this ever since I got the phone a few months ago and I just don't understand this stuff well enough but I know someone out there must be able to figure this one out.

Once again I really do appreciate your input.

Sincerely,
Castor500[/img]
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking into Orb. http://www.orb.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Streaming live camera feeds to a WM5 device Reply with quote

Castor500 wrote:
The window then opens an Active Ex app and I enter a username and password and the Active Ex app connects

This is the crux of the issue. Likely the ActiveX componenet that is required is not supported on the PPC or Smartphone. You need to find something that streams in a format that is supported. One has been listed. Windows Media Encoder streams in a format that PIE supports natively.
Castor500
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Streaming live camera feeds to a WM5 device Reply with quote

Quote:
Windows Media Encoder streams in a format that PIE supports natively.

Thanks for input but again I am a real novice. How would I set up my computer to stream using windows media encoder? I have already looked into this and ORB but I can't actual figure out how to do it.

Thanks again:)
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Streaming live camera feeds to a WM5 device Reply with quote

Castor500 wrote:
Quote:
Windows Media Encoder streams in a format that PIE supports natively.

Thanks for input but again I am a real novice. How would I set up my computer to stream using windows media encoder? I have already looked into this and ORB but I can't actual figure out how to do it.

Thanks again:)

If you are just having the camera connect to the tuner card all you would have to do is set up Orb and you should be good to go. When streaming you would view the channel that the camera is set up on, in most cases channel 3 or 4. Granted I never tried it this way but in theory it should work. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Castor500
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have 4 cameras plugged into one PCI video capture card via coaxial cable. Do you believe ORB can let me view all the cameras one at a time or at once?

Thanks for the advice:)
69hdflh
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Anyone found a WorkAround Reply with quote

I was wandering if anyone has found a way to make this work ? I also have a Samsung system that is IP based and can be viewed from any PC. I get nothing but a black screen on my Motorola Q. Anyone know how to view my camera's ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Multimedia All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: