FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
First Impressions of Samsung's i320 Smartphone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
extravagant
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean its a great phone, and i really like the qwerty, but there's just so many things wrong with it. The timeout appears to only effect the backlight of the LCD and not the backlight on the keys.

As far as making a blank .wav, you can't do that only because you don't have the option of changing the sounds (I even put a blank .wav in various directories such as /Windows (same directly as the camera sounds that come with the phone).

Man, the camera is horrible too when u zoom in a bit! And the battery life, it has me worried because i would hate to go outside and after a few hours be left with like 20% and I refuse to carry the charger with me cuz then that takes away the whole point of being mobile!

Also, did you try to make new homescreens? I did and put them in the proper director ..../Home but it appears you can't even do that........
extravagant
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh can I ask which carrier your with? Fido or Rogers? Does Rogers have EDGE? I see the "G" keeps changing to "E" for EDGE but it just goes back....

hows the reception? Mine is horrible compared to the SMT 5600 I was using.... any ideas how to get that fixed, do I have to call Fido or somethin?

I'm with Fido but it uses the Rogers Network
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extravagant wrote:
I mean its a great phone, and i really like the qwerty, but there's just so many things wrong with it. The timeout appears to only effect the backlight of the LCD and not the backlight on the keys.

I wouldn't say this is a fault. lighting up things uses a lot of power. If you think the battery life is bad now, just imagine how bad it would be if things didn't turn off. I haven't had a issue with the timeout on the keypad. Perhaps it's a personal thing, I haven't had it shut down while I was busy using it.

extravagant wrote:
As far as making a blank .wav, you can't do that only because you don't have the option of changing the sounds (I even put a blank .wav in various directories such as /Windows (same directly as the camera sounds that come with the phone).

I don't think you caught all of what I was saying. You need to overwrite the existing sound with your blank wav. So find the sound file that is used for the shutter sound and rename your blank file to the same name. Then overwrite the default sound with your file.

extravagant wrote:
Man, the camera is horrible too when u zoom in a bit!

No surprise there. There is no optical zoom on this device - just like all other camera phones (with the exception of one new Nokia device). Digital zoom works by taking an image and guessing at what colour pixel might be between two other pixels in order to zoom in. Digital zoom sucks. That's why nobody uses it on their digital cameras.

extravagant wrote:
And the battery life, it has me worried because i would hate to go outside and after a few hours be left with like 20% and I refuse to carry the charger with me cuz then that takes away the whole point of being mobile!

The battery isn't amazing, but it should last you 24 hours. So there's no reason for it to magically run out when you walk out the door. I've got one battery plugged in and ready to go. If I'm heading out the door and the indicator is low, then I'll swap batteries. It takes about 30 seconds.

extravagant wrote:
Also, did you try to make new homescreens? I did and put them in the proper director ..../Home but it appears you can't even do that........

I've had no problems adding homescreens. The only reason I can see it failing would be if their is a problem in the XML.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extravagant wrote:
oh can I ask which carrier your with? Fido or Rogers? Does Rogers have EDGE? I see the "G" keeps changing to "E" for EDGE but it just goes back....

hows the reception? Mine is horrible compared to the SMT 5600 I was using.... any ideas how to get that fixed, do I have to call Fido or somethin?

I'm with Fido but it uses the Rogers Network

This is a tri-band phone. It uses 900, 1800, and 1900. These are the European frequencies and does not include the very common North American 850 band. The 5600 was a quad band device and thus worked great anywhere in the world. While Fido/Rogers does have some 1900 band towers, they have much more 850 band towers. You will find some places in North America where 850 doesn't matter. If you're having reception problems and they're that bad, then you live in a strong 850 band area and you'll want to make sure any phone you buy has that frequency. Wink
extravagant
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT---------------------
it appears you can run Java appz from the "funbox" application located in the program launcher under one of the groups (I forgot which one)...
Once in FunBox you have to click on Download then it will open the wap browser and you put in the URL.... firstly I am not sure which URL to use and secondly it wont even connect (I've checked the profiles, made a new one and used GPRS with no proxy).... it appears you need to use a proxy or a dial up connection, which I have no idea about and it makes sense to only use GPRS... anyone have any ideas here? it would be best to just copy the files over and run them but it doesn't appear one can do that... which sucks...

---------------------
also do you know if this thing has Java? it doesn't appear to anywhere in the start menu folders such as accessories etc.. any idea how to get Google Maps on this thing?
extravagant
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well finally i got wap working and google maps Smile

I was just wondering now if anyone can plz help me get a nice homescreen. I can download some of the xml files in /application data/home to my computer, edit them but i can't replace them and I can't put new ones up by creating a new xml file... but I was able to install a .CAB from kl1weders site... I just want the MSN Default homescreen though without the calendar or special events and to consolidate the operator/time/date into 1 line...

anyone have any ideas why I can't make new screens and load theM (they're just not appearing in the list even though I put them in the right folder) \Application Data\Home

thanks guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: