FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Standalone Device Emulator with Windows Mobile 5.0 MSFP Images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Standalone Device Emulator with Windows Mobile 5.0 MSFP Imag Reply with quote

"Great news for those of you who wish to test your own (or someone else's) applications in an emulated environment. Microsoft has just released a new package containing the standalone version of the Visual Studio 2005 Device Emulator and the Windows Mobile 5.0 MSFP images for the Pocket PC and Smartphone. It's a free download and doesn't require Visual Studio 2005. There's also a new post on the Channel 9 Wiki detailing the different Adaptation Kit Updates (AKUs) associated with the different builds of Windows Mobile 5.0. It's a useful resource for those of you interested in finding out which AKU your device has. More information here. "

Do you remember the post "Microsoft, Where is the Standalone Device Emulator for Windows Mobile 5.0?" The wait is over; Microsoft has finally released the standalone device emulator for Windows Mobile 5.0 that does not require Visual Studio 2005. Not only is this a great way for developers to test out their applications without buying Visual Studio 2005, but it also helps you play with a Windows Mobile 5.0 interface without buying a device. Wink The emulator and its details can be accessed over here.
Darius Wey
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Standalone Device Emulator with Windows Mobile 5.0 MSFP Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
The wait is over...

Finally, a file explorer in the Smartphone image. Wink
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure tootk a long time for this to get released, eh? Glad to see it's finally out.
ufkydpnr
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not get it to run on my XP SP2...
I installed the thing it asked me to, but did not work.

Is there a step by step or tips on how to get it running.
I have a few software under developement, and also a theme pack that I want to try without risking my set.

Thanks.
Darius Wey
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ufkydpnr wrote:
I installed the thing it asked me to, but did not work.

What sort of problems have you been experiencing? There are step-by-step instructions located toward the bottom of the download page, including details on the Virtual Machine Network Driver, which is required for installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...;displaylang=en
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ufkydpnr wrote:

What is the error you're getting? Exactly what happens when you run it?
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried to install it complained about the missing "Virtual Machine Network Driver," which was easily rectified using the download link [mentioned by Darius] provided on the emulator download page.
ufkydpnr
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual Machine Network Driver was the problem, but it did not let me install it. Let me see if I can go back to it and retry and show you guys what I have been getting. Embarassed

V1Emulator installed, but efp won't.

I was actually getting the VMnet error.. And now I recall typing that long error it was giving me into my browser hoping that MS would let me download it, but I believe that link is not active anymore.
(The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page.)

Edit: OK, Link works now: I downloaded it. (netsvwrap.msi) It takes forever at this screen, and as you can see, font seems funny. I will restart and try again.

After uninstalling, series of restarts, and re-installing above stuck screen passed on and finished without a single confirmation message, and it works now,

Now, All I have to do is to figure out how to get my files into this image/phone..
Where do I plug the USB cord? Laughing Kidding aside, thanks for replying to me. Smile Right, of course, share a folder and it turns it into a "Storage Device", great!
bentonquest
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, but I have to ask Sad

Once I have the phone/image running on my PC screen, how do I run my own exe files on the "device"? Where or how do I share a folder to set is as a "Storage Device"? I just don't get it Sad

Thanks!
hyedipin
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you run Device Emulator Manager and start the emulation, you can select your rom image and go through the settings to define a "shared" folder, that folder will be as your virtual storage card in your rom image. Then you can drop exe into that shared folder, and run it on you smartphone.

I cannot get mine running now for some reason so I don't really remember where it was exactly, but check the settings on your rom & also right click on your image in your D.E.M. and get more settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: