FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Orneta Notepad Mobile - anyone have a similar problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Software Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshpmark
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Orneta Notepad Mobile - anyone have a similar problem? Reply with quote

I purchased Orneta's Notepad Mobile. I tried using it to edit a homescreen file on my SDA. After editing the file and saving it, the SDA would no longer recognize the file in the homescreen options portion of the settings option. The file was still in the same directory with the same file name but would not show up. I had to end up copying a backup file from my PC to the SDA and then the screen showed up again as a selection. Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem with Notepad Mobile? I'm not getting any support response from the web site.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Editing home screens is a tricky business. If there is a small typo in the home screen syntax then it will not show up on the home screen control panel list. I have always made minor mistakes when using the editor on the mobile device.

I usually like to edit it on the PC. To verify if the XML tags are proper, I open the XML in the desktop IE. If the file shows up then it is guaranteed to show up in the Windows Mobile home screen list.

Or the next time you run into this problem (after editing the XML on the mobile device), copy the edited file to the desktop. And try to open the file in the desktop IE. Wink
ditch_azeroth
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's true kris. sometimes, when i'm at home and i get really bored, i make homescreens using orneta's notepad (combo-ed with resco's photo viewer/editor). just miss one bracket or one keyword, the homescreen settings menu will not detect your edited homescreen. think of it as a built in debug tool... lol ^_^
bshpmark
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have noticed is that Orneta offers no ongoing support after the sale. I wish now I had never purchased the software from them.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bshpmark wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that Orneta offers no ongoing support after the sale. I wish now I had never purchased the software from them.

Really? That's not very nice. Not even via email?
scottb
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bshpmark wrote:

I saw your [same] comment on Orneta's forum. What, specifically, are you trying to find out? I didn't see an actual question there.
bshpmark
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question was posted in one of the forums on the Orneta site. It had to do with a problem editing XML files and then finding them. No response was received. I also noticed several other postings on the forums regarding bugs, questions, etc. and the developer had not responded. I never did find anywhere on the site to email the developer directly. I did get a refund on the purchase today from Mobihand.com.

Any suggestions on a good file editor and notepad program for the Smartphone would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: