FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Ed Rants About the Lack of WiFi Sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Ed Rants About the Lack of WiFi Sync Reply with quote

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/for...ic.php?p=422808

"ActiveSync doesn't encrypt data with the desktop like it does with Exchange Server, so someone could steal your data as it was being transmitted, and you simply cannot be trusted to make a decision on that. You can turn off your firewall in Windows. You can choose not to install antivirus software and antispyware software. You can turn off Automatic Updates. You can disable the antiphishing filter in your browser. You can run around your house nekkid with scissors, but the one thing you absolutely, positively cannot do is sync with your PC in your kitchen from the bedroom because someone might be in your basement lurking stealing your data, or if you are in a small office, you can't sync with your PC in your office from the conference room because one of the five people you work with might be listening in on that transmission, and heaven forbid you are at Starbucks and initiate an encrypted VPN connection to your home PC and sync through that secure connection."

Ed Hansberry lets loose his true feelings and thoughts about Mike Calligaro's latest blog post. I felt it was better to link to Ed's post than Mike's attempt at explaining things. You see, Mike's whole argument for this feature not being fixed is that it's not a high enough priority. Wasn't that the same excuse we heard for the lack of a true close option? Makes you wonder if we'll ever see these missing features? I've all but given up on ever seeing a File Sync conduit for Smartphones in Active Sync like the Pocket PC has. After all, who would ever want to put a file on a phone. Rolling Eyes Anyway, Ed makes a really good point. Head over and give his rant a read and let us know what you think of the whole situation.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't Microsoft make ActiveSync over network disabled out of the box, when you install? Make us go and manually enable the check box and when we do that, they should show a warning screen - "you are about to enable an option that can be a possible security risk..." Make us acknowledge the risk before enabling the feature.

Also, I think WiFi is far more secure than regular wired network. Of course there are folks who do not have encryption turned on but businesses do and so do home users.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
Why can't Microsoft make ActiveSync over network disabled out of the box, when you install?

Same reason we didn't get the "X" in the corner, they know better than we do. Rolling Eyes

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
J4yDubs
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiFi ActiveSync syncing is a business issue. It used to be enabled in older versions of ActiveSync, but was removed because of security issues brought up by businesses. Basically, they were going to lose the business market if it wasn't removed. Yeah, it sucks that you can't even enable it, but money talks and the business market is where they want to be.

John
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. It still is no reason why we non business users can't have it.

Ed Hansberry
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4yDubs wrote:
WiFi ActiveSync syncing is a business issue. It used to be enabled in older versions of ActiveSync, but was removed because of security issues brought up by businesses. Basically, they were going to lose the business market if it wasn't removed.

do you have any evidence for this? and if so, does this evidence demand removal or does it just demand security ? Links please that are on point to this specific issue, no anecdotal evidence.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed I've read the same thing from time to time. Don't know if it ever was a reputable source. It has become the current belief though. Regardless, why can't it be an option if people want it. MS has not trouble stuffing it's OS with things nobody wants and are great security risks. For example, UPNP.

J4yDubs
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Hansberry wrote:

do you have any evidence for this? and if so, does this evidence demand removal or does it just demand security ? Links please that are on point to this specific issue, no anecdotal evidence.

Not sure which part you want me to provide evidence for? The security issue or businesses demanding it be dropped?

If you're referring to the security issue, that one is very well known. Here's a blob entry from the source. Read the comments for more information.

If you're referring to businesses saying it must go, no I don't have a link for you. You can choose not to believe me and that's fine. I'm involved with Mobile Development (enterprise) and have discussed this issue with the sources. I wasn't happy to see it go away (because of the benefits for mobile development), but they've made some changes to that environment to help. The ARM emulator is a major plus.

Security is a major initiative for Microsoft right now. It's not just talk. Couple that will the heightened security requirements of businesses and even Sarbanes-Oxley and you can see the need for it to be removed (if they wanted businesses to continue using it).

I do believe that they will add wireless syncing back in at some point. When they get a chance to secure it (not an easy task as written).

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: