FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
SDA Memory - I'm ready to smash this @#$%& phone!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HTC-based Microsoft Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of tricks that always works for me...

- number one defaulter is IE cache. I would clear that first. But this is too easy.
- number two culprit is the ActiveSync based program install mechanism. Check the \Windows\AppMgr\Install, if there are any CAB files lying around. When a program install fails, the CAB gets left behind over here. Clean this folder.

Also check the size of \Windows\AppMgr using a File Manager application on the device. Depending on the number of applications that you have installed, this folder might be taking up too much space.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And please don't smash the SDA. I know the feeling.

I am seeing something strange where my Smartphone seems to forget the time everytime I power off and power on.
jeffreybluml
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

I am running with as little ram as I am comfortable, and it took some compromises to get there.

Basically, everything that's going to start automatically at boot (facade for the homescreen, fizz weather, autokeylock, etc), I install to the main memory. That way
1) if my card mounts wrong, the homescreen will still get displayed and
2) I think this reduces the chances of the card getting mounted too late and coming up as storage card2.

Then, everything else goes on the card. Currently, I run with only 4.1M free main memory...about as low as I want it to get...

Good luck,
algorhythm
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, your replies pretty much confirm I've been doing all the right things....it's not me, it's the phone.

Y'know how you get to a point with any computer, especially Windows-based ones, where you just decide it's easier to reformat and start over than to hunt for the elusive problem? So I cold booted the phone. Then I installed Smartphone Notes, Sprite Backup and Jeyo Personalizer...that's all. And I installed them all to the Storage Card. Then I sync'ed my contacts (~1200 names), Calendar and Task list from Entourage (Mac version of Outlook).

The next morning I grabbed my email and got....a low memory message.

Crying or Very sad

No, I won't smash it. I won't get a Blackberry either...aside from all the different-OS issues, it's also only got 64MB.

So....what can I say? Can anyone recommend a Smartphone that can do all or most of what the SDA can do =and= has more (or upgradable) memory =and= a small form factor?
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the amount of space taken by \Windows\AppMgr folder contents?

Also what is the size of the .vol files in the root?

I would recommend looking at the My Documents folder and making sure there are no photos or audio files, like ringtones.

Also the same goes for the Application Data folder, check for ringtones that you don't need. I remember that on the 2125 there was one file for the Cingular's ringtone which was pretty big like a Meg or more.
jeffreybluml
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your post is accurate, then you forgot to install the tweak to put your emails on the storage card. That's probably why you still got the low memory warning...

Try again but do the IE and Mail on the storage card tweak BEFORE you get your emails...

Good luck,

Not sure on other smartphones with more on-board memory. Check the news releases here and on Modaco.com, I think there is one but can't remember...
Mark Larson
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 3125. Sell your SDA on ebay and just pay the difference. Can't be more than $50-100. Don't smash your phone, tempting as that may be. Smile
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the 3125. Do it, Do it! Laughing

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
ditch_azeroth
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to install most of your apps (if not all of it) on your storage card. i try my best to keep at least 5MB free on my phone memory at any given time... to avoid this problem ^_^
algorhythm
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum it up....after installing almost everything on the Storage Card, reinsalling the IE/attachments tweak (forgot to mention it), and still ending up with memory alerts.....I'm spending the 14-day pre-nuptuals period with the DASH. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HTC-based Microsoft Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: