FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Mobility Site Video - Unboxing the i-mate SPL Smartphone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Mobility Site Video - Unboxing the i-mate SPL Smartphone Reply with quote

http://www.mobilitysite.com/2006/11...oxing_video.php

"OK, what's it with all these smartphones I am looking at? Today I received a Sexy, Tri-Band GSM phone from i-mate, the SPL. This phone looks similar to the Motorola SLVR but runs Windows Mobile. It has no keyboard like the Q and the Cingular Blackjack, but hey... It's itty bitty. Here is a video unboxing of this device, hope you enjoy it. The video lighting was rough, but you can't redo an unboxing can ya?"

Chris Leckness from Mobility Site has posted a 5 minute video of the i-mate SPL unboxing. This is one sexy little phone. I like the glossy black look, but I can imagine it would be a pain to keep clean from finger prints and smudges. Confused
Chris Leckness
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things here....

1. YES! The black glossy is a finger print magnet.
2. Sorry about the lighting in that video. I was disappointed in it, but you can't "redo" an unboxing, so roll it.... hehee

The phone is nice so far. It has some nice games pre-installed too!
hewittn
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: I-mate SPL Reply with quote

Hi - I have been reading this site for a while now but never felt the need to register and reply to a topic - I took delivery of my Imate SPL last week - and unfortunately I can confirm that the SPL (Smartphone Lite) is just that - I have problems with the phone freezing at least once a day which requires me to power cycle the phone - and have had to perform a factory reset once already - the Software which comes from Imate however is impressive - the bowling game was popular with my son (until the hard reset which removed all the Imate software which is not on the CD which comes with it) and the Auto config function is impressive - which sets GPRS settings etc automatically for you - I contactes Imate with regards to the software which is not available after a hard reset and they advised me that this will be appearing on their website in the very near future for download (registered users only)

it is a good looking / lightweight phone which draws a lot of attention from my colleagues at work - the Microsoft Push function is very handy for me keeping up with emails on the move - and the price is fair too - although expect a few crashes from time to time - I would recommend the phone - although not for hardcore Smartphone fans - they may find the performance frustrating (its good enough to banish my O2 XDA Mini s and 02 XDA IQ to the kitchen cupboard though (Mainly due to size and good battery life)
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to download the applications from the i-mate website. You'll need to register first, but after that they should be there for you to download.

It looks like a great phone, but I don't think I could live with the finger prints. Wink
hewittn
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Fingerprints Reply with quote

Hi - yeah the fingerprints are a slight problem - although mainly on the battery covering on the back of the phone - there is a simple solution to this problem however - wear flanel jogging pants all the time - this should clean it right up each time you put the phone in your pocket Smile - I did have a Moto V3 razr (black) and I found the fingerprints worse on that to be honest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: