FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Samsung Blackjack Batteries: Rejoice!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Samsung Blackjack Batteries: Rejoice! Reply with quote

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=4...howtopic=248804

"It's no secret that even though the Blackjack is an unbelievable Smartphone, battery life is a bit less than desirable with HSDPA use. (less than a full 24hr day for me....your mileage may vary). But HowardForums member, pbogle, offers us a solution to turn off/on HSDPA data, based on his Samsung ZX20 experience. This leaves us Blackjack users with UNBELIEVABLY GREAT battery life under EDGE or GPRS data. (2 or more bars left by the end of the day for me with a decent amount of use)."

Over at MoDaCo, encece has posted a quick walkthrough for toggling your HSDPA data connection off and on. If you are one of those users that can barely make it through a single days use, like myself, this might be a less expensive alternative to purchasing an extended battery .
enece wrote:
The solution is an phone code to open a secret Admin Settings screen that will allow you to switch between GSM Data (Edge/GPRS) and WCDMA(HSDPA).

1. Enter *#1546792*#
2. Select Option 3 Netowrk & Call Settings
3. Select option 5 Network Mode
4. Select GSM
(Choose WCDMA to change it back when you need it.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rdecker
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - works like a champ BUT...

I bought this thing for HSDPA.

I have my Treo 650 for Edge. There have been rumors around that Cingular is tweaking their network to improve the battery life on 3G devices.

For now, I have ordered an extended battery; just by doing the math on the extra capacity it should last 30% longer.

Right now, if I connect to my slingbox with the phone I can get about 30 minutes of streaming video before I get a low battery error...... Twisted Evil
dstrauss
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've read on HSDPA is that it is a power hog, so an ultralight like the Blackjack is going to take a hit. I DON'T want a larger phone, so I'll start/stop HSDPA as needed. On EDGE, I can go nearly two days even with push email, so I'll keep my Blackjack slim and trim thank you.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got this device for 3G speeds as well. this is why im happy they gave us a second battery. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstrauss wrote:
Everything I've read on HSDPA is that it is a power hog, so an ultralight like the Blackjack is going to take a hit.

Hmm. Is this true for all HSDPA phones? One thing I noticed (to my satisfaction) is that EVDO takes significantly less power in most cases than 1xRTT -- at least on my Treo 700w.

--janak
amg212
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My home is not in a 3G area, but my office is. I've had experience with moderate usage at both locations (strong signal in either case) and have found the battery life to be solid either way.

Where I ran into issues was at a client location that was (seemingly) between two towers, only one of which supported 3G - so the phone bounced back and forth between edge and 3G. In that case, the battery life suffered. The 3G toggle would have been helpful to stop the bouncing and keep my battery alive.

I'd venture a guess (nothing technical to base this on) that the UMTS signal on the blackjack is no less power efficient than the GSM/EDGE signal but the initial acquisition of that signal and the search for a 3G tower is what causes the excess power drain.

In other words, I would suspect that if you were solidly in a 3G area you could use 3G all the time and be fine power-wise

Am I alone in this thought??
stevew
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amg212 wrote:

In other words, I would suspect that if you were solidly in a 3G area you could use 3G all the time and be fine power-wise

Am I alone in this thought??

I think you're correct in that assumption. I have a steady 4 bar 3g signal in my area and I get an easy 2-3 days before I charge the battery. Of course I'm not doing video, push email and surfing all day long like some users. After the initial play factor and a couple drains and recharges, I seem to be getting satisfactory battery life.
cortez
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:
dstrauss wrote:
Everything I've read on HSDPA is that it is a power hog, so an ultralight like the Blackjack is going to take a hit.

Hmm. Is this true for all HSDPA phones? One thing I noticed (to my satisfaction) is that EVDO takes significantly less power in most cases than 1xRTT -- at least on my Treo 700w.

--janak

i have the 750v and with 3G/UMTS, i'll drain my battery faster if i leave it on 3G the whole day. i usually leave it on GSM/Edge unless there's a reason to use 3G. i believe that high-speed=faster battery drain on any 3G device. i had the same behavior when i was using the Tytn.

now my spouse wants to return her BlackJack because of battery life. even with the registry tweak, she's getting only 24 hrs use... granted she's on the phone 2+ hours a day and she receives 75-100 emails a day. (i'm going to take a beating for convincing her to get this phone! :twak: )

T-Will
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with a little web browsing and a few minutes of phone calls I'm coming home with 75% or more battery (with my Dash). Smile

On the Dash it will disconnect the EDGE data connection if it isn't used for a certain amount of time, does the BJ do this too?
stevew
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself don't understand that as long as you can make it through your day on a charge, why that would not be sufficient. Charge the thing while you're asleep. But that's just me. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: