FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Create a shortcut for network selection...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Samsung-based Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbranscum
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Create a shortcut for network selection... Reply with quote

As I'm sure most people know by now, typing "*#1546792*#" will bring up a service menu on the Blackjack allowing you to force the phone into 3G or 850 or 1900 band.

To create a speed dial shortcut, I used Resco Explorer and go to browser settings. Check UNHIDE all files. You will then see a file in the \windows folder called BANDSEL. Create a shortcut to that file, then a speed dial shortcut and you have a quick way to get to that menu. Cool
stumpy
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet it saves me the time typing all that and a quick change when I want the 3G off. Actually that Just changes only the Band. To change the 3G create a short cut for adminsettings.exe. If you don't have resco explorer you can browse from activesync and create a shortcut then you can view the shortcut and put it in a startup folder or whatever you wish.

Last edited by stumpy on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find! Smile

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
thegasguru
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so which is better, bandsel or adminsettings? I'm coming from Verizon, and I'm still learning the GSM world.

Is using bandsel to change the band better? And which band is better... 850 or 1900?

Or is it better to use adminsettings to change the mode better?

The whole point of this is to lock in 2.5G to save battery life, right? Because 3G (even though it's so much faster) is a battery hog, right? So the plan is to use 2.5G as a default to use less battery, and then switch to 3G for data-intensive stuff like browsing, downloading, streaming, etc.

So...which is better? Using bandsel to switch the band? Or using adminsettings to switch to GSM?

And just for those of us coming from Verizon -- if I use bandsel (which requires fewer button presses), which band is better, 850 or 1900?

Right now I used Resco Explorer to make shortcuts to both files, and I put both shortcuts in the \windows\start menu folder. I then renamed the shortcuts to "01 Network Band Select", and "02 Network Mode Select". That way, both shortcuts show up at the top of my Start Menu list. And I can confirm that both shortcuts work.
stumpy
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put it this way you have 3G(WCDMA), 850,1900 those are the bads. Its the 3G(WCDMA) that cosumes alot of you battery. Most coverage areas have a mixed of 850,1900 if you just limit yourself to 850 or just 1900 then you might lose you signal. So for me I rather have them both for coverage since both are 2.5G.
thegasguru
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your saying that rather than using the bandsel shortcut, which makes you pick either JUST 850 or JUST 1900....I would be better off using the adminsettings shortcut which lets me select either "Auto" (which is 3G), or "GSM". Am I correct in assuming that when I select "GSM"...and the title bar icon switches to "E" (instead of the "3G" icon), then I'm getting BOTH 850 & 1900 2.5G signals?
stumpy
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegasguru wrote:
So your saying that rather than using the bandsel shortcut, which makes you pick either JUST 850 or JUST 1900....I would be better off using the adminsettings shortcut which lets me select either "Auto" (which is 3G), or "GSM". Am I correct in assuming that when I select "GSM"...and the title bar icon switches to "E" (instead of the "3G" icon), then I'm getting BOTH 850 & 1900 2.5G signals?

You got it. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Samsung-based Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: