FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Buying a Smartphone as a Gift?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Buying a Smartphone as a Gift? Reply with quote

I am curious. Are any of you thinking of buying anyone (or have you already bought) a Smartphone for a Christmas present? As you know it is not as simple as buying say, an iPod or a Camera. There is that activation aspect to the whole thing and what if the phone you want to get them is CDMA and they are GSM already? How would you handle the process of moving them and the phone number? Obviously the easiest scenario is if you are buying them a Cingular phone and the recipient already has Cingular, for example. Then there is the issue of plans. Would you buy them a gift that they would need to pay more per month to get full use out of? If you are kicking back today because you are all done shopping then ponder these issues with me and leave your thoughts here. If you aren't done shopping yet, get moving! Laughing
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accessories are easy. That's what I bought.
sosha
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a smartphone, but I got the Cingular Samsung A707 for my husband. He wanted a straight forward phone with BIG buttons and a readable screen. At this point, I did not activate the data portion (eventho it's 3G). I'll give him the option to activate it if he wants it. Cingular's pretty good about that; they'll turn a data ($20) on, and, if he tells me it's not worth it, they'll deactivate it.

He's never used internet or email on a cell phone. But, this phone can do a lot of slick things. If it had WM5 on it, I'd be on it like white on rice.

Oh yea...does buying myself a Blackjack for Xmas count? Very Happy I think I'll need a new SIM card for the 3G, right?

P
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sosha wrote:
Oh yea...does buying myself a Blackjack for Xmas count? Very Happy I think I'll need a new SIM card for the 3G, right?

Yes it counts! I don't believe you need a new SIM card. Maybe someone here can confirm that.
xyphos
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my mom a blackjack Very Happy . I even opened it and took the liberty of putting a picture of her puppy as the homescreen background, added a ringtone of one of her other sons playing guitar, and in the calendar/tasks application I wrote notes to her saying things like "i love you" and "merry Christmas"
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea, to personalize it before you give it. Very Happy
OSUKid7
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new Smartphone this year, but hopefully by next winter there'll be a slew of new WM6 devices out, and I can trade up and renew my Cingular contract. The big question for me in the next year is should I switch to a PPCPE Grinning devil, or go with another Smartphone. I love the small form-factor of Smartphones, but the features of the PPC OS are (imo) superior to the Smartphone OS. If they ever make a clamshell PPCPE, that's what I'll be getting. :werenotworthy:

Audiovox SMT5600 -> Cingular 2125
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sosha wrote:

it depends, if you got your last phone after november 2005, chances are you might have a 3G SIM chip already. To check, look on the back of your SIM chip, somewhere on there it should say 3G.

if you are doing an upgrade and you need a need SIM chip, they should provide you with one for free. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you DO need a different SIM for 3G?
T-Will
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyphos wrote:
I bought my mom a blackjack Very Happy . I even opened it and took the liberty of putting a picture of her puppy as the homescreen background, added a ringtone of one of her other sons playing guitar, and in the calendar/tasks application I wrote notes to her saying things like "i love you" and "merry Christmas"

That's a great idea, I'll have to remember that for future reference! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: