FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Windows Vista Hardware from AMD & Microsoft: Here’s My Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Windows Vista Hardware from AMD & Microsoft: Here’s My S Reply with quote

http://www.jasondunn.com/windows-vista-hardware-90

"There’s a big blow-up about Microsoft “bribing” bloggers, so I figured I’d better get on the record now before someone accuses me of “hiding” something. On the 22nd of December I made a comment on my blog about receiving a new piece of hardware, but I mentioned that I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to talk about it yet - because the hardware wasn’t released yet and not up on the OEMs Web site for sale. Obviously now that this story has gone public, I can, so here’s the story."

This isn't exactly on-topic for Smartphone Thoughts, but I felt that the issue was important enough (since it involves my personal integrity) that I should step up and make sure everyone knows the history of this issue and my stance on it. It's a very long post (I started working on it yesterday), but I think it covers everything about this issue. Comments here (or there) are welcome.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really wouldn't call what Microsoft did as "bribing". If I was in Microsoft's position I would have done the same thing. On a side note, I have been running Vista RC2's Media Center on my new laptop and so far it has worked like a champ with my new Hybrid ASTC/NTSC TV Tuner.

If you are a user of MCE 2005, I would seriously look at upgrading to Vista when it gets released to the public. The new interface is so refreshing to look at and everything justs works beautifully. Smile

Also, Jason, that new computer you got is HUGE, but I want one Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft doesn't need to bribe anyone. Last time I looked they were doing just fine. This is all just sour grapes. I read through some of the blogs. I wasn't too impressed with the thinking and reasoning displayed. I suspect a good number of those blogs will join the 404 club eventually. Laughing

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Pony99CA
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Much Ado About Nothing Reply with quote

Hey, as long as you don't start posting tons of pro-Microsoft Vista pieces (especially on Pocket PC Thoughts and Smartphone Thoughts), this is much ado about nothing.

If Microsoft offered me a free PC, I'd happily take it -- as long as there were no strings attached. I'll take money from the tobacco and oil industries, too, but they shouldn't expect Christmas cards from me. Laughing

Steve
OSUKid7
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pony99CA wrote:
... this is much ado about nothing.

If Microsoft offered me a free PC, I'd happily take it -- as long as there were no strings attached. I'll take money from the tobacco and oil industries, too, but they shouldn't expect Christmas cards from me. Laughing

Nicely said.

I too don't see what the big deal about this is. Confused Like you said, you get free stuff from companies all the time, and you're always open about it. It's unlucky for everyone involved that the hardware arrived damaged, but there's not much you can do about it.

Rocco Augusto wrote:
If you are a user of MCE 2005, I would seriously look at upgrading to Vista when it gets released to the public. The new interface is so refreshing to look at and everything justs works beautifully. Smile

I definitely agree. I've been running Vista Ultimate x64 for several weeks now, and Media Center is vastly improved. (Unfortunately, I've seen a few flickering/DirectX-like problems, and I haven't been able to consistently use my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender... but that's for another discussion.)

Audiovox SMT5600 -> Cingular 2125
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bshpmark
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal as far as I am concerned. Back in the 80's when Compaq was really going strong, we used to get free trips to their headquarters, free meals, hotel stays, etc. That's the way business is done. I can't recall how many St. Louis Cardinals baseball games I went to in the 80's and 90's as a perk from a vendor. Nice golf outings, etc.

By the way Jason, keep up the great work you do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: