FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
AT&T To Replace Cingular Brand Monday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: AT&T To Replace Cingular Brand Monday Reply with quote

http://www.computerworld.com/action...rc=news_ts_head

"AT&T Wireless was once an independent company that had been spun off from AT&T Corp. Cingular Wireless LLC bought the wireless operator and eliminated the AT&T Wireless brand. Then SBC, one of the owners of Cingular, bought AT&T, adopting the AT&T brand for its landline services. More recently, AT&T bought BellSouth Corp., the other owner of Cingular, spurring the switch back to the AT&T brand for the wireless service. Now that AT&T is the parent company of several telecommunications brands, it is consolidating the branding under the AT&T name as a way of cutting costs. AT&T estimates that 20% of the operating expenses it expects to save through the merger with BellSouth will come from consolidating advertising."

I wasn't too attached to the Cingular name so I will not be heartbroken to see it fade away. The good news is, since all of the AT&T Wireless customers were finally migrated to the Cingular billing system, there should be no interruptions in service. As much as I love Cingular's service, I don't think I could go through that much torture again. Smile

Source: peterawest
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they had kept the Cingular name.

I think Cingular had put in a lot of effort into establishing a brand name. Plus the effort involved and the money needed to change store signs, brochures, advertisements, labels on the phones and invoices etc is huge, its enormous.

I think the money paid by the subscribers is well spent on enhancing the network, I mean deploying HSDPA/3G network. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad I am sure this name change is going to affect the subscribers regardless of what AT&T says. I don't think either name has a better goodwill than the other.
MitchellO
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I think that the name Cingular is a lot nicer than AT&T :p
dstrauss
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, the name doesn't make any difference to me, but to a lot of folks, they "know" AT&T but still wonder what "Cingular" is. It's kind of like Coke vs. RC Cola.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Cingular name and wish they would just put tthe ATT moniker to sleep forever. I also like the Cingular logo better too.

[BlackJack] [8525]
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cingular: new, hip, cool
AT&T: old, busted, '70s

The people making this decision do NOT understand branding. AT&T might resonate with grandma, but are there more grandmas buying phones than younger people? Probably not. Cingular built up a lot of brand recognition over the past few years, and A&T just screams "old school legacy".

Bad, bad decision that no doubt has T-Mobile giggling with glee.
macattack
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Dunn wrote:
The people making this decision do NOT understand branding... Cingular built up a lot of brand recognition over the past few years, and A&T just screams "old school legacy".

Bad, bad decision that no doubt has T-Mobile giggling with glee.

Here, Here! I couldn't agree more!
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the ATT brand represents failure. I remember when they didn't want to invest in cellular because they did think it would go anywhere. Laughing

[BlackJack] [8525]
dougben50
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: AT&T Reply with quote

I remember when I had service through Voice Stream in 2001. They were made to give up some of their area in Texas and I got AT&T as my new service. They promised that no major changes would happen, but then everyone on Voice Stream was required to go the one of the AT&T local outlets and turn in our phones for one of theirs. This would not have been a bad thing, but I had a phone that was a cut above what they were giving out. I was informed that if I wanted a different model, I would have to pay for it, which I did. The service was so bad, I closed my account within 2 months.
Saying all of this, I hope that they are smart enough to use Cingular's backbone and not make everyone turn in phones this time.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I think this is just a name change because they have some twisted fetish over the AT&T brand. Still to me that brand represents dinosaurs and failure.

[BlackJack] [8525]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: