FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Windows Mobile Device Center is Here but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Windows Mobile Device Center is Here but... Reply with quote

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...vicecenter.mspx

WMDC is no better than ActiveSync as far as I am concerned. Take a quick look at Kris Kumar's post and thread for some sample frustrations. We have people first having to find it. Why isn't it just part of the OS as they stuffed everything else into it? Yes it looks pretty.

It needs to work "pretty" too! If you looked at that thread you saw people opening up ports in firewalls to make things work. How many average users will figure that out? My favorite new feature though is that if you previously had ActiveSync on XP or the WMDC beta on Vista, when you install the released WMDC it won't pick up your device names and will then tell you the names are already in use! I had to go into the registry and find the old device names, delete the keys (they are huge) then go back and rename the new renamed devices back to the old ones. Go try to explain that to your neighbor who can barely get their email. I guess they just didn't have enough time, 5 years, to make sure these things worked. Those of us, like me, who have push enabled devices and have an exchange server don't really need this headache. I won't even install WMDC on my laptop. I'd rather take out the storage card, put it into an adapter and then connect to the PC to transfer files. I still can't get my BlackJack to sync. In short, I don't need this, do you?

[BlackJack] [8525]
peterawest
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it worked great on the first try. I even tried using the IR port on my older Thinkpad to Sync with my older iPAQ 1940.

It worked on the first try and was pretty quick too.
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterawest wrote:
For me it worked great on the first try.

That's the biggest issue, IMHO. The inconsistancy. I generally have had good luck with AS and WMDC, but now and again it'll just drive you nuts. Same goes for the issues presented in various forums. If something doesn't work right for everyone, or if you get this issue and do that it solves it every time, it wouldn't be so bad, and may even be fixable.

The undependability is the buggar, and on a part of the system that really needs to be foolproof.
stevew
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get it to work. I've tried all I know to do and searched everywhere for a solution.

I get the WMDC setup screen. If I click on "Connect without setting up your device", I can browse the Blackjack just fine.

As soon as I click on "Setup Your Device" , I
get an immediate popup saying"Windows Mobile Device Center Sync Host has stopped working" with a choice of close or debug.
From that point on, the WMDC will not respond untill I terminate the sync host process or reboot.

I did a upgrade to Vista so I suspect it has something to do with the leftovers from the previous installed Activesync in XP.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only WMDC was made available more often during the Vista Beta testing. Mad Also I don't think the Live OneCare and WMDC were ever tested together. Evil or Very Mad

Arne Hess over at the::unwired has a good tutorial on how correctly setup things. But it shouldn't be this hard. Rolling Eyes
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS should be embarrassed over this. ActiveSync should have been a big warning to them. Instead it looks like they just dressed it up and gave it a new name. Even worse, they made the migration from one to the other mystery meat.

[BlackJack] [8525]
Foxbat121
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: WMP Sync Reply with quote

Although I have no problem sync my BlackJack on two different PCs (One Desktop, one Laptop) running Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 (are you guys running Office 2007 on Vista?), I do have consistant problem with WMP on Vista. It won't recognize my storage card inside the phone to sync music over. I have to use my XP PC to do the music sync.
stevew
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevew wrote:
I can't get it to work. I've tried all I know to do and searched everywhere for a solution.

I get the WMDC setup screen. If I click on "Connect without setting up your device", I can browse the Blackjack just fine.

As soon as I click on "Setup Your Device" , I
get an immediate popup saying"Windows Mobile Device Center Sync Host has stopped working" with a choice of close or debug.
From that point on, the WMDC will not respond untill I terminate the sync host process or reboot.

I did a upgrade to Vista so I suspect it has something to do with the leftovers from the previous installed Activesync in XP.

Well got it working.
I think Smartphone notes or one of the other 3rd party apps was the problem. I went ahead and deleted all 3rd party smartphone apps off the host PC and reset the Smartphone. Seems to be ok now.

I only have about 8 hours invested into getting the thing to work. Rolling Eyes
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevew wrote:
I only have about 8 hours invested into getting the thing to work. Rolling Eyes

Well then, I would call that a success! Laughing

[BlackJack] [8525]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: