FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Why Windows Mobile 6 Standard Devices Still Need Documents to Go
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Why Windows Mobile 6 Standard Devices Still Need Documents t Reply with quote

http://www.jeffkirvin.net/2007/02/1...ocuments-to-go/

"...nearly seven years later, the tables have turned. Now Documents To Go 9.0 allows full document creation on Windows Mobile Standard/Smartphone devices, while Microsoft’s own Office Mobile requires the same lame template work around that Documents To Go used on the Palm back before the internet bubble burst. You heard me right. Despite all the trumpeting of how great it is that Office Mobile now exists across all Windows Mobile devices, Windows Mobile Standard devices still can’t create new documents."

I had to read this a couple times and rub my eyes. Office Mobile in Standard (please help me) devices will not create new documents! Between Vista's less than smooth launch and WMDC pathetic lack of improvement over ActiveSync, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

[BlackJack] [8525]
aussienick
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it is a huge shame that WM6 Standard will not allow you to create Office documents, yet it will let you edit them (to some degree). It is at least a step in the right direction and hopefully we can create new documents from WM7 Standard. It would be interesting to see if WM6 Professional worked on Smartphone devices (without the touch screen functionality ofcourse)
crispeto
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Jerry. I just ordered Docs to go.
Jeff Kirvin
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussienick wrote:
Yep, it is a huge shame that WM6 Standard will not allow you to create Office documents, yet it will let you edit them (to some degree). It is at least a step in the right direction and hopefully we can create new documents from WM7 Standard. It would be interesting to see if WM6 Professional worked on Smartphone devices (without the touch screen functionality ofcourse)

The maddening bit is that this kind of lame "just sync blank documents and then save as..." crap was DTG's line seven gorram years ago on Palm OS! Isn't Windows Mobile supposed to be, well, more advanced than that?

I would dearly love to get an HTC Libra or Moto Q9 for my next device, but as a writer I have to be able to create new documents on the go. That means I'm stuck with larger, more expensive and more delicate Windows Mobile Professional devices. Feh!
bnycastro
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really odd... why enable viewing and editing only and but not full creation?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could understand why Microsoft decided that creating a document was something that "standard" users would not want to do. I guess you need to be "professional" to create. Rolling Eyes
woa1
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue I have had with Office Mobile since WinMobile 5 (even on PPCs) is that Mobile Excel can't open password protected xls files anymore. This is something DocsToGo states they can do.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK but what if one is a Professional Standard user? Razz

[BlackJack] [8525]
Bittermormon
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it should be called windows mobile Sub-standard.

Its too bad, I love my Gash, and I was looking forward to upgrading if those rumors are true, but you guys kind of burst my bubble. Sad
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
I wish I could understand why Microsoft decided that creating a document was something that "standard" users would not want to do. I guess you need to be "professional" to create. Rolling Eyes

Probably because if you could, then users would demand file sync, and of course Microsoft has deemed we can't have that. Neutral

--janak
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: