"As faithful blog readers already know, there were several limitations related to certificates that caused tons of customer pain on WM5. ... Thanks for all your input and feedback on these issues. Several of the work items and design decisions involved in this were shaped or prioritized directly due to your feedback."
It is a good thing that most of us don't have to mess around with certificates on our Windows Mobile 5 devices. For those of us who had to deal with the hassle of getting a certificate installed in the past will be happy to find out that Windows Mobile 6 will feature a bunch of improvements. Some of the improvements are:
- Certificate Installer built into the platform
- Installs CER, P7B, and PFX files
- No more Access Denied messages.
- Installs certs to the ROOT, Intermediate, and MY store
- Wildcard Certificate support for SSL
- The Intermediate ("CA") store shows up in the control panel now
- Even more root certs installed by default
- Delete will work from the control panel on any user-installed certs