FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
BlackJack ROM Update Released from Samsung
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arne Hess from The::Unwired has just pinged me to say that his contact at Samsung has confirmed that the patch is needed for the BlackJack.

However, I still can't figure out why it would matter if your phone synced time from the cell tower. Confused Oh well. The answer is Yes, you have to reinstall the patch.

What a freakin' mess this whole moving DST has become. I've said it before, and I guess it's worth saying again; Microsoft really screwed up on this.
Foxbat121
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Cingular's official account for this mess:

Quote:
To help clarify some of the discussions/comments on this issue, let me add the following:

1) It appears that we hit a "perfect storm" with the DST change, as there was some confusion on the parts of Microsoft, carriers, device vendors, PC makers and even users on what to do with which devices or apps. There was a lot of info posted ahead of time, but as with all big changes in technology-land, not all goes as smoothly as planned. I think Y2K went better than this for all of us.

2) Contrary to the comments/opinions/flames of some of the posters on this thread, Cingular did in fact think and plan for the DST change ahead of time. The information Cingular had up through Sunday from Microsoft was that the Blackjack, as the latest Windows Mobile device we had launched, was based on a WM 5.0 software version that didn't need the DST patch. This is why we had the info on our website and the Answer Center that Blackjack didn't need the update.

3) On Sunday and Monday, Microsoft was as surprised as those of us with Blackjacks that the DST update didn't occur properly. Cingular immediately applied the DST patch that was provided for other Smartphones and PDAs, and verified that it would update correctly. We then communicated this change out to our retail and support channels, and made sure Microsoft was engaged to investigate what went wrong in their WM5.0 AKU 3.x software patch.

In addition, we also got our website and support folks updated to provide the correct info. I'm not sure why Samsung support gave out some of the info they did, but likely they didn't have the updated info yet, plus their support reps have so many products to track that I can see where some reps may not always give the right answer the first time. I've found this to be true for many different companies.

4) Several posters on this thread have provided info on what to do, but let me summarize here.
On the Cingular site, you can get info on the Blackjack at:
https://www.cingular.com/support/se...amp;x=9&y=2
You can also get general DST update info at:
https://www.cingular.com/support/kn...t=KB77065.html.
On the Microsoft site, the WM5.0 info is at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...g/default.mspx.
Note that this procedure indicates you must have ActiveSync 4.5 for the patch to work properly if you sync it to the device. You can also directly download the patch to the device by going to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/.

5) For some of the appointment time issues, there were also some steps that had to be taken in Outlook to adjust recurring meetings or other appointments made for the 3 week "in-between" period of new DST start vs. old DST start. For other calendar apps and syncing, I don't have much info, but there may be similar issues with those.

6) Our network sends out a standard date/time signal with a timezone indicator and DST indicator. Phones read these and based on the user's settings for timezone and auto-update, second timezone display, etc., will then display a date/time.

I hope this will help to clarify what happened. I'll apologize for any confusion or difficulty users had as they worked this out -- I was one of you as well. If some are still having problems, please call our care line or post here, and we'll try to help.

Regards,
Mike Hlavaty-LaPosa
Director, Advanced Devices
Cingular (now the new AT&T)

Read the original thread here http://forums.cingular.com/cng/boar...6638&page=5
Foxbat121
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on it, how about this post:
Quote:
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:06 AM
To: Jeff Hoster
Subject: Windows 6.0 update

Hi Jeff

Here is the latest information regarding windows mobile 6.0 and the BlackJack. Samsung and Microsoft are submitting 6.0 software version to Cingular on May 26th. At that time Cingular has 8 weeks to review the OS and give approval. Given the approval all BlackJack from late July time frame going forward will come from the factory with the new 6.0 OS. Also at that time there will be a download for existing BlackJack users who want to upgrade via an Cingular/AT&T hosted website. So yes , given Cingular approval the BlackJack will support windows 6.0 OS.

Hope this helps

Michael Bardeau
Samsung Telecommunications America
National Accounts Manager
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxbat121 wrote:
While we're on it, how about this post:
Quote:
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:06 AM
To: Jeff Hoster
Subject: Windows 6.0 update

Hi Jeff

Here is the latest information regarding windows mobile 6.0 and the BlackJack. Samsung and Microsoft are submitting 6.0 software version to Cingular on May 26th. At that time Cingular has 8 weeks to review the OS and give approval. Given the approval all BlackJack from late July time frame going forward will come from the factory with the new 6.0 OS. Also at that time there will be a download for existing BlackJack users who want to upgrade via an Cingular/AT&T hosted website. So yes , given Cingular approval the BlackJack will support windows 6.0 OS.

Hope this helps

Michael Bardeau
Samsung Telecommunications America
National Accounts Manager

Shocked Dude.... That's huge. I've just posted it to the front page. Anyone looking to talk about this news, please do it over in this thread. This current thread is to talk about the AT&T ROM update.
bystander
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike. Hopefully a variety of AT&T (Cingular) ROM will be treated to upgrades in the future....
ctmagnus
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
I've said it before, and I guess it's worth saying again; Microsoft really screwed up on this.

Yeah, but whose fault is it that Microsoft even had to do it in the first place? Wink
Lomius
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: WTF OMG I GOT PWNED WHATEVER Reply with quote

Ok I am not by any means PC illiterate. But this is the most COMPLICATED install I have ever encountered. I have disabled all firewalls, blocks, blah blah blah. Done everything according to the instructions, but I still do not get the download for SGH_i607_GB4_Rebranding_EMR.exe to show up, and even with the Activesync USB unchecked nothing happens, my device counts down from 4 to 1 then reads failed. WTF. I have done everything correct. Why is this so damn complicated? Anyone put this into english or have a real DOWNLOAD LINK to use?
LeonardR
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Sprite Backup After Upgrade? Reply with quote

Question If you apply the upgrade and then to a do a restore with Sprite will the Blackjack loose the upgrade?
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprite Backup After Upgrade? Reply with quote

LeonardR wrote:
Question If you apply the upgrade and then to a do a restore with Sprite will the Blackjack loose the upgrade?

No but the restore will probably only work if you use Sprite's method for restoring the backup to a new ROM. If you just tried a straight restore, it probably won't work. No matter what though, it won't undo the upgrade.
LeonardR
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Sprite BU Did the upgrade perfectly Reply with quote

Very Happy My Blackjack is loaded with extra programs, Exchange Server Settings, Custom Profiles, 40 Speed Dials, etc. Did the upgrade which went fine and took my phone back to like new but AT&T branded. Prior to doing the upgrade I followed Sprite's instructions to use the "Get Upgrade Data Utility" Restored the phone using Sprite's protocol and my phone is back to exactly how it was except it is also upgraded!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: