FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Improved Battery Life on My BlackJack
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent13
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived it last week @ MEDC. I live in a non-3g coverage area and on average get 2 - 2.5 days on the Standard battery. In Vegas, I got about 6hrs before I needed to recharge. I like the fact that the BlackJack has the programs to make it possible to hard down the Data to Edge even when in a 3g coverage area.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know that I can turn down 3G and just use EDGE, but I like the SPEED! If I was going to do that, I would just switch to the Dash - it's basically a BlackJack without the speed. Wink

I wonder how bad my battery will be if I was to setup a 3rd account to send/recieve every hour? OR <gasp> hooked in a Direct Push account! Both of which are things I'm moving towards doing.

I currently don't have the extended battery. I'm not within the US, so the offer isn't something that I could take advantage of too easily.
nutzareus
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Improved Battery Life on My BlackJack Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
For me it's 50MB a month (without really trying) so that's about 1.6MB per day and I need to charge my device every night.

I burn through your monthly quota in about 30 minutes using Slingbox on my BlackJack. Very Happy Thank goodness I have 4 batteries (2 extended and 2 regular) that I regularly rotate throughout the week. Remember a couple of months ago when I reported burning through 4GB of data use? This past month I "dropped" down to 3.5GB... Wink

Personally, disabling 3G defeats the purpose of getting this phone. With simultaneous voice and data a 3G-only feature, it's worth the battery drain since I can make calls while sharing Internet connection with my laptop and watch Slingbox at the same time. Cool

Last edited by nutzareus on Wed May 09, 2007 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent13
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I appreciate the "Need for Speed", most of the time, the device is in my pocket trickeling e-mail. I asked the guys at Microsoft to see if there were any plans on intelligently switching radios based on bandwidth consumption. It was clear that they didn't have any plans (at least that they were willing to talk about Sad
JuhaN
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to buy Samsung i600, the European model of Blackjack, to replace my Nokia E61. I'm quite satisfied with E61's hardware but still would like to have Windows Mobile 6. My normal usage is 3G/HSDPA active all the time, direct push active 18h/day, IM-software running in background 24/7, some web surfing, pim usage and very few calls... Some of the data usage would be through WLAN, but that's something you propably can't comment as Blackjack doesn't have it. So lots of data but not so much voice!

What kind of battery life I could expect to see with extended battery? I already know that I couldn't manage with standard one.

Share your battery life using the extended battery!

=)juha
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved Battery Life on My BlackJack Reply with quote

nutzareus wrote:
Mike Temporale wrote:
For me it's 50MB a month (without really trying) so that's about 1.6MB per day and I need to charge my device every night.

I burn through your monthly quota in about 30 minutes using Slingbox on my BlackJack. Very Happy

No, no.. You miss-understood. I have an unlimited data plan. I average 50MB of data used a month. If I'm using my Slingbox then it's way more than 50MB. Wink
ctmagnus
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved Battery Life on My BlackJack Reply with quote

OT:

Mike Temporale wrote:
I have an unlimited data plan. I average 50MB of data used a month.

Drool.....

Rogers or Fido? Which plan? How much/month? I just upgraded plans on Rogers, but I still managed to go over.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved Battery Life on My BlackJack Reply with quote

ctmagnus wrote:
Rogers or Fido? Which plan? How much/month? I just upgraded plans on Rogers, but I still managed to go over.

Yeah, sorry. They don't offer the plan anymore. It's a $50 unlimited data plan on Fido. They pulled it a year or two ago. Now there's no good plans available from either carrier. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: