FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Ballmer Announces New Live TV Service with BT and Virgin Mobile at 3GSM Keynote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Ballmer Announces New Live TV Service with BT and Virgin Mob Reply with quote

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/...MKeyNotePR.mspx

" Unveiling a new TV service for mobile phones and a new unified communications solution for mobile devices, Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer today introduced several innovative solutions and strategies that will generate more revenue opportunities for mobile operators and provide compelling benefits for subscribers. ...He also showed off a new live TV service introduced by Virgin Mobile and BT Movio powered by Microsoft for Windows Mobile ® -based Smartphones, and the new sync center for mobile devices in Windows Vista™, the new Windows ® operating system debuting later this year. Ballmer also shared the first public demonstration of how Windows Live™, the recently introduced set of personal Internet services and software, will extend from the PC and Internet to mobile devices, and highlighted how leading mobile operators are using other innovative mobile services to attract new customers and build subscriber loyalty."

Figure 1: The new Smartphone for Virgin Mobile and the BT Movio service.

I watched today's keynote via Microsoft's webcast and unfortunately, the video was pretty bad. Sorry, I wasn't able to get a better screen capture. Sad
Steve Ballmer made many announcements this morning at 3GSM, including a new ad campaign for Windows Mobile, a new live TV service from Virgin and BT Movio for mobile devices. The picture above is the phone Virgin will be using for this service. I didn't catch who manufactured the device, but it's running Windows Mobile 5 and has a dedicated button on the right that launches the live TV service.

Figure 2: The Hump twins show off Microsofts new Blue Rendezvous technology

Blue Rendezvous is a new Bluetooth management tool that allows you to quickly and easily setup Bluetooth connections. They did a quick little demo and it was pretty cool to see how quickly the phones found each other and transfered files.

Steve also talked about the licensing of ActiveSync protocols to Sony Ericsson and Nokia to allow those devices to connect to the PC and sync with Outlook and Exchange even though they don't run Windows Mobile.
Bushrod
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife uses Virgin Mobile. I hope that phone is cheap and comes out soon!
Darius Wey
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised that red-white outline on the Trilogy is a hump! I didn't make it out when I first watched the low-quality video stream. Neutral
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darius Wey wrote:
I just realised that red-white outline on the Trilogy is a hump! I didn't make it out when I first watched the low-quality video stream. Neutral

Ahhhh!!! It's contagious! Laughing

Just a side note; Darius has posted more coverage and pictures over at Pocket PC Thoughts. Very Happy
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks who missed it can watch it over here:
http://www.microsoft.com/events/exe...s/webcasts.mspx

I just finished watching it, it looks like Microsoft feels that it has everything in place to become a major player in the mobile space, initially the enterprise space. Steve and his team did give some demos revolving around Office and Office communicator, how Office and Windows Live is going to be more mobile aware.

I loved the part where Steve B tries to pocket the Samsung i320 and i-mate Smartflip.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
Darius Wey wrote:

Ahhhh!!! It's contagious! Laughing

The hump was everywhere, in all the demos. Rock on dude!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: