FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Motorola Expands QWERTY Revolution, Announces Q for UMTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Motorola Expands QWERTY Revolution, Announces Q for UMTS Reply with quote

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter...6368_23,00.html

"Showing its commitment to evolving the mobile office beyond the exclusivity of the corporate boardroom, Motorola today announced the UMTS version of its heralded Q device family. The first Q is expected to ship with CDMA/EVDO capabilities later this quarter with the newly unveiled version expected to be available for operator trials in late Q4 2006. Touted as the first family of devices that blend style with productivity; the Q offers an uncompromising combination of a great phone, powerful email and captivating entertainment features that deliver a strong business and personal mobile experience. People of all professions, interests and ambitions can be productive, in-touch and stylish whenever and wherever they choose."

You have to hand it to Motorola. Now I suppose that one could argue this is not an advanced announcement. We all know they changed their policy so as only announce just seconds before the release of a new product. The Q had already been announced right? All that aside, Q4? By then the Q will be extinct! Oh wait I forgot, they are doing well reinventing the the RAZR every few months. OK, I guess a pink Q will solve this!

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like to see a Q actually available, before i get excited about a new version of it.
randalllewis
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola Expands QWERTY Revolution, Announces Q for UMTS Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
Oh wait I forgot, they are doing well reinventing the the RAZR every few months. OK, I guess a pink Q will solve this!

The Green RAZR is coming for St. Patrick's Day and a series of pastel ones for Easter. Look for the Red, White and Blue RAZR's in July. An orange RAZR will come out this October, then look for Moto to start the color thing all over again with the SLVR and the PEBL.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, why make a new phone when you you can just keep making colored Easter Eggs. Laughing

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the CDMA Q supposed to have been out in the Q4 of 2005?
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit, the Motorola PR folks are doing a fine job - this PR is titled "Motorola Expands QWERTY Revolution." Rolling Eyes

We haven't seen a single one in the store and it may still be months away, while the competitors have been offering QWERTY keyboard for ages and are getting thinner by exercising in the market (not in the R&D department like Moto). Twisted Evil

Moto is in its own la-la land!
subzerohf
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't mind because they're skipping EDGE for UMTS, which is available in test markets only. It will be months before it is widely available across North America, am I right?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subzerohf wrote:
I actually don't mind because they're skipping EDGE for UMTS, which is available in test markets only. It will be months before it is widely available across North America, am I right?

I think so, yes. But there's no reason to announce a UMTS version that won't be out for another 9 months. Especially when the device isn't even currently available! It would be wiser to keep quite, and focus your energy on getting the CDMA version out the door.

Confused
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subzerohf wrote:
I actually don't mind because they're skipping EDGE for UMTS...

I always thought that UMTS devices are backward compatible with EDGE network. If UMTS is not available it falls back to EDGE and if EDGE is not available then fail on to GPRS. Isn't that correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: