FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
VPN over GPRS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Other Microsoft Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Headmasters
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: VPN over GPRS Reply with quote

I am currently trialing the M5000 from Orange to see if it is a solution that we can use.

We have just a few problems that im hoping that someone can help or give me some advice.

I have setup a VPN to my work in my work connections.

When i dial GPRS it dials up fine and then i dial the VPN connection to work and this works as well but i cannot download emails from my mail server which is where the VPN goes to.

If i use WIFI and connect via VPN i have no trouble getting the emails that way its just over GPRS i cannot get emails.

I also have on tiral a Orange M2000 and this has the opposite problem. It will connect and get emails via GPRS but not via WIFI.

Has anyone got any ideas i could try?
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VPN really wants a robust connection. GPRS is anything but robust. I would think you will get excessive timeouts. I know that using the Cisco branded VPN was useless. There are, however, VPN products designed for portable devices. PPOE also is unreliable. SSH is iffy and depends on the product.

On my PPC I had the Movian VPN product working solidly. It was run by Certicom, but I think it's now known as the Antha VPN product. Not sure they have a SP version though.

If Using Exchange you will be able to get to your mail if your company sets up the push technology, obviously - also there are ways via OWA and products such as the Juniper SA1000 line.Here's Antha's list of supported devices

http://www.anthavpn.com/webmaker/po...dDevicesVPN.jsp
Headmasters
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange how it will work on the other trial phone the M2000 and it works perfectly fine but it won't work on the M5000

The only difference between them is the OS one runs windows mobile 2003 SE and the other runs Windows mobile 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Other Microsoft Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: