FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
AT&T in $67 Billion Deal to Buy BellSouth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: AT&T in $67 Billion Deal to Buy BellSouth Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...6030500501.html

"AT&T Inc. announced plans yesterday to buy BellSouth Corp. for about $67 billion in stock in a deal that would reassemble large swaths of the old "Ma Bell" local-telephone monopoly but is likely to win regulatory approval because of growing competition from mobile phone, cable and Internet telephone companies. The merger would dramatically expand San Antonio-based AT&T, which is already the largest phone company in the country, by extending its local-phone service into 22 states and giving it full control of Cingular Wireless, the largest mobile phone company in the nation."

Just the sound of those 3 letters makes me shudder. They represent immobility that led to failure. Yet they are touted as a divine moniker that everyone will just flock to when they see it. Just like walking into the light. I am disappointed that they are resurrecting this dinosaur name. The article points out they will dump the Cingular name, a name I happen to like. The real question is will this buyout be good for customers in the end?

[2125]
[8125]
HalM
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with you on this deal. Bad vibes all around.

Also, I have lost my score card but I thought BellSouth spun off BellSouth Mobility to merge it with a few others that created Cingular. If so, how can they drop the name?
Fritzly
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news indeed. I will begin to look for a new DSL provider; AT&T had a maximum amount of MB per month and other issues. So long guys, you lost a customer.
optikalsaint
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fritzly wrote:
Bad news indeed. I will begin to look for a new DSL provider; AT&T had a maximum amount of MB per month and other issues. So long guys, you lost a customer.

before you start looking for another provider remember that AT&T was recently just bought by SBC which decided to keep the AT&T name. i wouldnt ditch your DSL just because the name might change. whats going on now is no different then if SBC decided to purchase BellSouth, just a different name.

wait to see what actually goes on with this buyout and once something is written in stone i'm sure either BellSouth or AT&T will inform their customers of any changes in policy or pricing at which time then you can start running for the hills screaming Laughing
wshwe
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Feds should not approve this buyout. It puts too much of our nation's communications infrastructure in the hands of 1 company. AT&T and Cingular are both known for their lousy customer service.
sigmamason
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that the buyout brings some lower prices from Bellsouth. They are arguably much higher for the same service level than Verizon or SBC/AT&T.

Their minimum DSL is priced at the same price point as Premium DSL from Yahoo/SBC and/or Verizon...

The price point of local landline service is ridiculous, no wonder Vonage is kicking their rearend...Comcast is beating them down also for high-speed internet access...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: