FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
SmartVideo and DMVN Offer Free Music Videos for Mobile Devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> CONTENT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: SmartVideo and DMVN Offer Free Music Videos for Mobile Devic Reply with quote

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix...ticle&ID=807124

"SmartVideo Technologies, Inc., announced mobile viewers can now watch the latest music videos on all Internet enabled devices, such as cellphones, PDAs, and laptops connected via cellular, Wi-Fi, and DSL networks. SmartVideo in partnership with the Digital Music Video Network (DMVN), today launched its groundbreaking, advertising-supported channels featuring videos by the music industry's top artists. A unique feature of this service is SmartVideo's use of an advanced Digital Rights Management (DRM) system that protects the copyright and security of the music. Digital Music Video Network, the first 24 hour-a-day music channel for mobile devices, is now available anywhere in North America. Today's launch by SmartVideo and the Digital Music Network features top 40 hits with plans to introduce additional channels dedicated to urban, dance, rock, country and other music genres in the near future."

This looks pretty interesting. I'm not much of a music video guy, so this type of thing doesn't really interest me. However, I know that there are a lot of people that enjoy their music videos. So for all of you, and anyone else that's just plain curious, check it out and please let us know your thoughts. Very Happy For more information, and to sign up, check out the SmartVideo website.
MitzEclipse
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this will work with the T-Mobile USA T-Zones $5.99 GPRS Plan? Has anyone tried this yet?
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the free subscription and the free music videos; found the quality to be poor. The video resolution is not great for a 320x240 pixel screen, it may work well for the lower res Smartphones. The audio quality was not great either.

I was benchmarking the audio quality against the ones provided by Sirius. Sirius offers very good audio quality.
optikalsaint
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've found orb media far better for streaming video and music content, even live tv, to my phone.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optikalsaint wrote:
i've found orb media far better for streaming video and music content, even live tv, to my phone.

Orb sounds pretty cool, I used to use Windows Media Encoder for the same. But looks like Orb can do a lot more and in a easier manner.

The only catch with Orb is that you have to host a server with content for streaming. I would prefer listening to live TV or radio not hosted by me. Any other sites that do that?
optikalsaint
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
optikalsaint wrote:

Orb sounds pretty cool, I used to use Windows Media Encoder for the same. But looks like Orb can do a lot more and in a easier manner.

The only catch with Orb is that you have to host a server with content for streaming. I would prefer listening to live TV or radio not hosted by me. Any other sites that do that?

its really not that bad, just install orb and any computer you want to stream music from and your good to go. i have a nice hauppauge pvr150MCE tv tuner as well so when i get bored i just tune in to some live tv and im good to go. the quality is suprisingly good on my 2125 with EDGE. it use to be horrible on my 5600 using just GPRS and watching TV. I can actually read text that gets displayed on the screen during commercials now Laughing
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give the audio streaming a try. I would like to do video streaming but the room where the computer is sitting doesn't have cable hookup. Sad

But looks like Orb does the same thing as SlingBox and Beyond TV.

Initially I had thought that Orb allows direct streaming, but I believe from the Smartphone I have to connect to http://my.orb.com. I don't think I like that.

This is the last Orb related post I will be writing in this thread. Sorry. Embarassed
craigrens
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months back, I tried the service that was the focus of this thread but found the selection of channels and "clips" quite dull and boring. Perhaps in the future there will be a much greater selection as technology expands into more devices.

Sorry to do another "Orb" post in this thread, but do other smartphone users know about this? Has this been another topic in the past? This thread turned me onto the service and I'm just loving the audio streaming as you can add custom stations to the service which is pretty cool.

Regards,

Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> CONTENT All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: