FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Russians to get Free Incoming Mobile Calls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Russians to get Free Incoming Mobile Calls Reply with quote

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2...60307035146.htm

"If you're Russian and a cellphone user, then you'll be happy to hear about a new law signed by President Vladimir Putin. The new law will reportedly prohibit mobile users from being charged for incoming calls. The new law, known as the Calling Party Pays (CPP) principle, will begin to be enforced on July 1 of this year. Though some wireless carriers in Russia offer free incoming calls as part of their contract with customers, the new law will make incoming calls free for all wireless subscribers. There are limitations to the law, which include collect calls and calls received outside of a subscriber's home area."

This is a good idea, but I can see a couple major issues. The biggest one is finding a charge on my home phone bill for calling someone who is on a cell phone. Imagine how many times you've dialed the phone and not known if you are calling an office or a mobile phone. Those charges could add up pretty quick and you wouldn't even know it until the next phone bill arrives. Confused Ultimately, I would like to see mobile phones treated like home phones - unlimited for all local calls.
Stinger
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a good idea, but I can see a couple major issues. The biggest one is finding a charge on my home phone bill for calling someone who is on a cell phone.

In the UK all mobile numbers start with 07, whilst all regular landline numbers start with 01. There's no chance of getting a mobile and a landline number mixed up. Smile

I assume Russia will adopt a similar scheme, if it hasn't already.
SteinE
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you're Russian and a cellphone user"

So if a Russian travels to the UK or France he/she still get free incoming calls? lol
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Russians to get Free Incoming Mobile Calls Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
The biggest one is finding a charge on my home phone bill for calling someone who is on a cell phone.

Mike, this is already how much of Europe (minus Russia) works -- calling party pays for both mobile and landline destinations. Wink We do it differently here in North America...

--janak
Darius Wey
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Russians to get Free Incoming Mobile Calls Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:
Mike, this is already how much of Europe (minus Russia) works -- calling party pays for both mobile and landline destinations. Wink

Australia works like this too. The caller pays for all SMS/MMS and mobile/landline calls (except where a reverse call is placed).

Mike Temporale wrote:
The biggest one is finding a charge on my home phone bill for calling someone who is on a cell phone. Imagine how many times you've dialed the phone and not known if you are calling an office or a mobile phone.

Excluding the country code, mobile numbers in Australia commence with 4, while all other landline numbers commence with the city code - that is, any of the other digits.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Russians to get Free Incoming Mobile Calls Reply with quote

Darius Wey wrote:
Janak Parekh wrote:
Mike, this is already how much of Europe (minus Russia) works -- calling party pays for both mobile and landline destinations. Wink

Australia works like this too. The caller pays for all SMS/MMS and mobile/landline calls (except where a reverse call is placed).

Hello North America carriers - What are you waiting for? Wink

So it's free incoming calls, but it's not like a regular landline. At least not yet. That's still my ultimate dream. Mr. Green
Jorge Galindo
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Bolivia Reply with quote

Incoming calls on cell phones are also free in Bolivia. This has made cell phones more popular than land lines.

Where is Bolivia? In the middle of South America.
SnozBerries
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Russians to get Free Incoming Mobile Calls Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:

Hello North America carriers - What are you waiting for? Wink

Currently in the US telemarketers cannot call cell phones because it incurs a cost to the recipient of the phone call. I like this because it helps protect me from telemarketers interupting my dinner. How much of that has gone away with the whole Do-Not-Call registry, I don't know, but I like that double-peice of mid that I won't be bothered by them.

Now if the US adopted this new change, would we still be protected from telemarketers? I kind of doubt that as the reason for the current law no longer applies. I budget the minutes in my plan appropriately, so any changes wouldn't benefit me.
NorburyNewlywed
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently here in the UK no telemarketers can call me because I've signed up to the Telephone Preference Service . They have to consult this by law, and if you do receive a call the question 'Do you know I'm with the telephone preference service?' usually gets the phone put down pretty quickly. Wink
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Russians to get Free Incoming Mobile Calls Reply with quote

SnozBerries wrote:
Currently in the US telemarketers cannot call cell phones

Telemarketers is an issue, but I'm willing to live with and work through the growing pains of this in order to get flat rate local calls. Imagine paying $25-$30 a month for all you can eat incoming and outgoing local calls - like your home phone. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: