FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
SP5 and SP5m MSFP ROM Update Available From i-mate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iJITSU
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't noticed a difference in signal strength since loading the SP5 ROM, but the call quality actually seems better. There does appear to be less memory available. Lastly, I loaded the 2125 ROM back just to make sure I could, and it worked fine. Of course, I promptly loaded the SP5 ROM back. Loving IE with frames support. No longer need Opera.
jfreiman
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I completed the upgrade and now, for the first time since I upgraded to the 2125 I can make call from my apartment!!! YEA!

Call/voice quality is considerably improved as well.

My internet settings appear to have been retained because I can get internet access. However, I do not seem to be receiving Edge support because the icon is a big G (GPRS).

Things I notice:

Start Menu
The Start Menu items have been moved around and Settings is now in the #9 position, many other icons have been relocated.

Home Screen
The Home Screens are modified too. The Windows Default home screen seems to have larger fonts or something - there is more too it than that, but larger is at least one change from the Cingular ROM.

I'm sure there are other cosmetic changes, but for me that's the little stuff. The thing that matters to me is that I am free to make and receive calls at home!
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfreiman wrote:
I do not seem to be receiving Edge support because the icon is a big G (GPRS).

Not true. The icon in the title bar doesn't reflect the current connection type. You can do the registry hack to change it to the E if you like. But the hack is only changing the displayed icon. Your phone will automatically connect to the EDGE network. There's nothing you need to do.

jfreiman wrote:

Start Menu
The Start Menu items have been moved around and Settings is now in the #9 position, many other icons have been relocated.

It's always been there. Wink
pugwonk
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and did this last night. I think people are generally in the habit of assuming that all sorts of new things came with firmware upgrades ("I installed the new version of the SP5 firmware, and now my oven cooks faster!") so I was a bit sceptical.

So far the only thing I've noticed are the new Connections screen, which is interesting (though I haven't used anything on it yet) and the fact that I have MUCH more internal storage space free. I have synchronised all the stuff I had on it before, and now I have 9mb free instead of 2mb. Coupled with the dropping of the ludicrous "need 4mb free to send an MMS", I wonder if this could be the end of the SP5 memory woes, which have been my biggest gripe since I bought it?

Chris
annyksa
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: feel like an idiot Reply with quote

Hello, that update sounds great, u say its at club imate, i went there and i don;t see any rom update at all, how am i missing it, my eyes are open Shocked
arikinthecity
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Cingular 8125 suppors MSFP Reply with quote

The display inthe Cingular stores for the 8125 has an * detail at the bottom of the text stating that it is compatible with the Microsoft Security Feature Pack. Anyone else notice that?
arikinthecity
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Cingular's press release about MSFP Reply with quote

Powered by Microsoft's newest mobile operating system, Windows Mobile 5.0, the Cingular 2125 Smartphone will be upgradeable for the Messaging and Security Feature Pack featuring direct push e-mail technology when launched by Cingular in the first half of 2006.

Read the whole shpeel here:

http://cingular.mediaroom.com/index...item=1431[/url]
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: feel like an idiot Reply with quote

annyksa wrote:
Hello, that update sounds great, u say its at club imate, i went there and i don;t see any rom update at all, how am i missing it, my eyes are open Shocked

Club i-mate only shows you the ROM updates for the devices you have registered with them. If you have a SP5 or a SP5m you should be able to see them.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cingular 8125 suppors MSFP Reply with quote

arikinthecity wrote:
The display inthe Cingular stores for the 8125 has an * detail at the bottom of the text stating that it is compatible with the Microsoft Security Feature Pack. Anyone else notice that?

No surprise there. But this thread is about the i-mate devices. Wink I'm not aware if Cingular has released any patches for their Pocket PC devices.
headworx
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot install a root certificate to enable directpush. The old "install certificate" utility from imate does not work, and the new one is missing (the link http://www.clubimate.com/support/SP...ficate_SP5m.cab gives 404).
Has anybody succeeded in installing a root certificate after the update?

Cheers,
Headworx
http://headworx.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: