FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Mobiles 'As Addictive as Smoking'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Mobiles 'As Addictive as Smoking' Reply with quote

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=674072006

"MOBILE-phone users who spend most of their waking hours glued to a handset may have to call a therapist after a university study found they were as addictive as smoking and junk food. The heaviest mobile users even display the typical signs of "cold turkey" drug withdrawal - anxiety, restlessness and even panic - when parted from their phones. The psychological cost of excessive mobile phone use was highlighted in a study published yesterday by Queensland University in Australia."

I didn't need a study to tell me this. I go through withdrawal when I not only don't have my phone, but any other gadgets I'm used to having with me.

Source: textually.org

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Jason Lee
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's BS! I can quit anytime I want! Wink
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Edgar tosses Jason Lee's Smartphone to Jerry*

Oh man, I'm a junkie through and through. It's not just for work, its for play time too. When my HX4700 was getting fixed for 5 days, my wife got all ticked that I was moping around the house all glum - running to the door whenever I heard a truck. She knew the day I got it back, first of all I was locked in my office reloading it for two hours - Then I exited with it high in my hand exulted, smiling and laughing. Poor thing, my wife, she's a PPC/SP widow Laughing

I did get her a treo very recently though. And she is totally addicted to it. I find her flipping on my PPC and asking "now what program is this". I fear I created a monster and we may become two ships in the night, each on its own side of the bed doing email via PPC and wi-fi ROTFL!

Now, if they'd just come out with a good cooperative game....
Mark Kenepp
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when do you think we will see our first consumer suing the cell phone manufacturers (or network providers) as a result of their addiction?

I can see it now, some whistle blower will release information on how cell phone manufacturers were specifically adding features to their handsets knowing full well that it would make them more appealing to the consumer as well as cause the consumer to want to use their mobiles more.
Jason Lee
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar wrote:
*Edgar tosses Jason Lee's Smartphone to Jerry*

Nooooooooooooooo! my precious!!

Wink

I'm actually laying in bed now typing this on my ppc and my fiance is reading an ebook on hers and listening to music.

We play snails from time to time but a good co-op game would be great!

we are both pretty hooked. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: