FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Adjust Your Clock - It's Daylight Savings Time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> UPDATE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Adjust Your Clock - It's Daylight Savings Time Reply with quote

Hopefully, most of you would have seen this message this morning when you looked at your Smartphone. If you didn't see this, you're either living in an area that doesn't do Daylight Savings, or you've already done this, or your phone is messed up. Wink In the past I've always had some problems with my Windows Mobile devices updating for this correctly. Well, not this time. Very Happy

Our forum software doesn't handle Daylight Savings very nicely. If you're in a place that practices this, you might want to manually change your time zone to allow the message board to correctly display the time where you live. For example, I live in GMT -5, so I have switched my timezone to be GMT -4 and that puts me 1 hour ahead. Wink
leroybrown
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjust Your Clock - It's Daylight Savings Time Reply with quote

An hour was stolen from me. I'm angry.

I get one day off a week, why do they hafta take the hour from my Sunday?

Grr...
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjust Your Clock - It's Daylight Savings Time Reply with quote

leroybrown wrote:
An hour was stolen from me. I'm angry.

I get one day off a week, why do they hafta take the hour from my Sunday?

Grr...

Good point. Why can't it be the first Monday of April? Confused Smile
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heck, i had to work today. i lost a good hour of sleep and im usually pretty cranky when i dont get a full nights rest Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is why are we still doing this ridiculous pagan ritual twice a year? It is pointless and stupid. Twice a year I wish I lived in Hawaii or Arizona because neither follows this stupid Voodoo nonsense!

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*double post*

(sorry!)

Last edited by Rocco Augusto on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not about voodoo jerry... its about "saving energy" Laughing

here are a couple quotes http://www.energy.ca.gov

"One of the biggest reasons we change our clocks to Daylight Saving Time (DST) is that it saves energy. Energy use and the demand for electricity for lighting our homes is directly connected to when we go to bed and when we get up. Bedtime for most of us is late evening through the year. When we go to bed, we turn off the lights and TV."

"Daylight Saving Time "makes" the sun "set" one hour later and therefore reduces the period between sunset and bedtime by one hour. This means that less electricity would be used for lighting and appliances late in the day."

if thats the case why dont they just make time go forward several hours so we're going to bed right when it starts getting dark so we don't use any lighting at all Laughing

silly goverment, i love how they can just snap their fingers and "poof" we move forward or backwards in time... im pretty sure they got this idea from superman and his imfamous turning back time/spinning around the earth stunt Laughing
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optikalsaint wrote:
if thats the case why dont they just make time go forward several hours so we're going to bed right when it starts getting dark so we don't use any lighting at all Laughing

Exactly. If one hour is great wouldn't two save even more? Not to mention the carnage on the roads increases by 10% until everyone gets used to the change. The flip side also is that people stay out later driving and burning gasoline when it stays light out.

And another thing, why change it back in the fall? Why not just leave it? We are governed by morons.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
...We are governed by morons.

pfft, opti is a one man country. i govern myself Wink Very Happy Laughing

(you know how much money i make off myself on taxes?!?! Laughing)
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
Exactly. If one hour is great wouldn't two save even more? Not to mention the carnage on the roads increases by 10% until everyone gets used to the change. The flip side also is that people stay out later driving and burning gasoline when it stays light out.

The idea is that it's a compromise. Two hour daylight savings was indeed done during the energy crisis in the 1970s, but the argument is that people want to strike a balance so kids can still go to school during daylight.

Me, I like it. I'm not usually an early riser, so I like long days. Sure, I could otherwise get up one hour earlier, but I'm in academia -- most of my colleagues are not morning people. Wink That, and the prospect of birds chirping me awake at 4:30am is chilling. Shocked

(It's also worth mentioning that the two states that don't observe DST, Arizona and Hawaii, are farther south and therefore have less time variation. For us Northerners, it does make a huge difference, especially in June and July. I love having the sky be bright at 8:30pm!)

--janak
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> UPDATE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: