FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Moving from PDA Connect Unlimited to MediaNet Unlimited
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> AT&T Wireless - Cingular Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavankp
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Moving from PDA Connect Unlimited to MediaNet Unlimited Reply with quote

I currently have Cingular's $39.99 PDA Connect Unlimited package, which provides unlimited internet access (including using the phone as a modem). After looking around this forum, I get the feeling that I can get all this for $19.99 a month, with the MediaNet Unlimited plan. Is this correct?

Do we have anyone here who made the switch that I am contemplating (from PDA Connect Unlimited to MediaNet Unlimited)? Can you please confirm whether you were assessed any additional charges for access after the switch? Thanks for helping me avoid potential $300 bills for GPRS/EDGE use!

Regards,
Pavan
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a regular smartphone (SMT 5600, MPx220, Cingular 2125) then yes, you can use the $19.99 unlimited MEdia Net plan. Unfortunatly if you are a PPC/Treo user then you are stuck on the PDA Connect plan.

With MEdia Net as well as PDA Connect you are able to use your phone as a modem. It's really all based off what kind of advice you have.

-opti-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the $19.99 unlimited Media Net.

My current setup:
Phone: Evil Nasty cruddy MPX220
PDA: My rocking HX4700 - works flawless for me - dont know what the whiners are doing

I connect via BT with the dumb manual connect string since, again, Moto messed up on the MPX220. But I get GPRS speeds to the PDA and no problems with billing. I run mail, PIE, Netfront, Avantgo, RSS etc through it, just like a regular wifi connection, everything works, albeit slower.

-Edgar

And, as Opti said, if you are on a PPC-Phone Edition all bets are off. But, since this is SMARTPHONE thoughts and not POCKETPC Thoughts - I assumed you have a SP not a PPC-PE
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar wrote:
And, as Opti said, if you are on a PPC-Phone Edition all bets are off. But, since this is SMARTPHONE thoughts and not POCKETPC Thoughts - I assumed you have a SP not a PPC-PE

i just like to cover ALL bases Wink Razz Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pavankp
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Edgar and Opti for your responses! I have made the switch...
ricoks
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5600 coming to me in the mail that I picked up from ebay, new.
If it fails me, i may just call up Cingular and exchange it, since it is new, under warranty.
My questions, tho, is that with the 19.99 plan, you say you are tethering via bluetooth DUN to your iPaq4700 for browsing??
I too have a 4700 and love the screen and res, but am looking foward to going back to a smartphone (had an mpx220 like 1 1/2 yrs ago). i love having the same contact list everywhere, with the same format for storing/accessing it. BUT, i would like to have a better web interface, if possible, sometimes. what say you, you just dial with the *99#, or what do you use to get your 4700 surfing???
thanks for the help, this site has been awesome since it launched from PPCThoughts.

Ricoks
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My questions, tho, is that with the 19.99 plan, you say you are tethering via bluetooth DUN to your iPaq4700 for browsing??

Exactly. Yes sir.

-Edgar
ricoks
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what dial string are you using?
are you changing the proxy on the phone, changing to isp. vs wap.??
I appreciate the help, just look forward to making it work.

Ricoks
Hw6945
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar wrote:

Edgar and Opti --
A couple of questions from a new member here (long time member at PPCThoughts). Sorry if I'm digging up old bones.
Q1. So which site should one use for the Hw6945 I just ordered from HP??? (Is it a Phone? A PPC? A Plane? Faster than a speeding bullet?)
Q2. Do you think I have a chance of getting the $19 Media Net plan to work on my Hw6945???
(I don't think the folks at PPCThoughts could field this one Wink )
Thanks... Ron...
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hw6945 wrote:
Q1. So which site should one use for the Hw6945 I just ordered from HP??? (Is it a Phone? A PPC? A Plane? Faster than a speeding bullet?)

That's a PPC. If it's got a stylus then it's a Pocket PC. That's the best way to tell the difference, for now.

As for Q2, I have no clue. Someone else <cough>Rocco</cough> will have to help you on that one. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> AT&T Wireless - Cingular All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: