FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Samsung SGH-i320 has been Cleared by the FCC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Samsung SGH-i320 has been Cleared by the FCC Reply with quote

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...=457061&fcc_id=

Samsung SGH-i320, the tri-band GSM/EDGE Smartphone with QWERTY keypad and the Motorola Q competitor, has been cleared by the FCC. Samsung has requested that the i320 documents be kept confidential for a period of 45 days. So till the documents are released we won't much information about this device, which is supposed to be smaller and lighter than the Q. Also, at this time it is not known if this device will be launched in the States.

The thing that intrigues me about this FCC clearance is that the test documents declare the device as "Single Band PCS GSM/EDGE Phone w/ Bluetooth and USB Data Link Cable." Single band? I thought this device was a tri-band unit (ideally it should have been quad-band). Is it because the other two bands don't get used on the US networks, so the FCC doesn't require certification for it? Confused On a more positive note, Arne Hess over at the::unwired is reporting that he got a chance to play with the i320 recently and that the software has been improved since its last appearance at the 3GSM Congress in February. Hopefully, this means that at least the Europeans will get to see this device soon.

Source: engadget mobile
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just happy because this is GSM. Which means I might be able to have a keyboard device before the end of the year. If it comes out around these parts and at a reasonable price, and I decide against the StarTrek, and....

Cool
Kirkaiya
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see photos of this Samsung and the HTC Star Trek (aka Dopod S300) side-by-side, to get a more visceral feel for the differences in size...

Even better, of course, I'd like to have one in each hand to check out the "heft". I'm leaning towards the Dopod, depending on price, mainly because I think it's going to be available here (Thailand) a lot sooner.

Maybe the other SmartPhoneThoughts member (who is visiting Thailand now) and I will go mobile-hunting later today Wink

*sigh* I do miss the clamshell design.. my candy-bar WinCE 4.2 "Axia A108" was never a super-slim to begin with, so it comes down to, "mini keyboard and thin vs clam-shell / overall pocketablity" (comparing the Samsung to the HTC).
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkaiya wrote:
Maybe the other SmartPhoneThoughts member (who is visiting Thailand now) and I will go mobile-hunting later today Wink

Have fun shopping. Smile Keep us in the loop if you find anything interesting. Wink
sojourner753
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri-band? ... Single-band?

What are these guys paying by the frequency?

Why are all the phones leaving us out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: