FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Motorola, Cisco Cancel Dual-Mode Cellular and WiFi phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Motorola, Cisco Cancel Dual-Mode Cellular and WiFi phone Reply with quote

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06...C-WIR2006-04-27

"Motorola and Cisco Systems have stopped development of a dual-mode cellular and Wi-Fi phone in favor of allowing multiple devices to work with any vendor's enterprise IP (Internet Protocol) phone switch, a Motorola executive said Wednesday. Last July, the companies announced a partnership and plans to develop a device and release early this year. The aim of the project was to let enterprise employees use one phone both outside and inside the office, with calls smoothly shifting over to a wireless LAN in the office and to the cell network when a user went outside. Typical office phone features, such as dialing by extension within the enterprise, would be built in. Dual-mode phones are a key component of fixed-mobile convergence, which could benefit both enterprises and consumers with lower cellular bills and better indoor coverage."

Sounds like a smart move to me. The VoIP market is changing and growing so fast that it would only make sense that a dual-mode phone should be able to work on any WiFi network and not locked into a specific environment.

Source: Edgar
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a followon - I think it was Nokia that is creating a partnership with i-Pass - a portal provider to wi-fi and wired hotspots worldwide. They partner with T-Mo, Starwood properties, Wayport and many others to provide broadband access at a fixed monthly cost - great for businesses that want to provide Remote Access to employees or individuals that are on the go.

Sounds like we'll get that dual mode phone working for advanced VOICE processes. Wow, who-da thunk it, a phone allowing for advanced VOICE functionality.

-Edgar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: