FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Removing the Pocket Controller Icon From the Titlebar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Removing the Pocket Controller Icon From the Titlebar Reply with quote

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?...&t=news&id=3597

"SOTI’s Pocket Controller is known to be one of the best screen capture utilities for Windows Mobile, but what has always bugged me about the program is that it installs an icon on the taskbar of your device. After a good amount of time poking around for the option to turn it off, I reached out to SOTI's tech support for some answers."

SOTI's Pocket Controller is a great tool. I've been using it for some time now and I really enjoy the power and flexibility it offers. The icon in the title bar has always bugged me, but I guess I wasn't bothered by it as much as Brandon over at PocketNow.com, since I never spent the time looking around the registry to turn it off. However, thanks to his efforts, I will be disabling the icon. Wink All you need to do is open up your trusty Registry Editor and browse to "HKLM\Software\Apps\Soti\pocketController". There you should see an entry called "Enabletray" with a value of ON. Simply change this to OFF and you should be free of that tray icon for good.

Note: Normal warning about editing the registry applies. If you're not comfortable doing this then please don't. It's not worth risking a hard reset, is it?
xultar
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket Controller...those people have my complete admiration for creating such a POWERFUL and USEFUL product. It is a MUST HAVE for any WM device owner.

I can't say the icon bugged me all that much because it reminded me that it actually loaded but having the option to turn it off is great. Maybe they will build that on/off switch into the product for the next release.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the icon being visible when a connection is in progress, but once you disconnect it should go away.

This registry switch is a great find.
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option to turn it off has been there on the PPC side for a long time. I asked about doing it on the Smartphone sometime ago, and they responded that it was in the works. Guess I don't need to wait for them. That's good because it will likely cost 80% of the normal price to upgrade to get that feature.
mccune
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use a register tweak when the option is allready in your settings?
When I go to Settings -> System -Pocket Controller I can choose "Display Icon in System tray".

Works for me Very Happy (SPV M3000)
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccune wrote:
Why use a register tweak when the option is allready in your settings?
When I go to Settings -> System -Pocket Controller I can choose "Display Icon in System tray".

Works for me Very Happy (SPV M3000)

That's the difference between the Pocket PC and the Smartphone. Wink We don't have a "settings" for Pocket Controller.
Pony99CA
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Removing the Pocket Controller Icon From the Titlebar Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
All you need to do is open up your trusty Registry Editor and browse to "HKLM\Software\Apps\Soti\pocketController". There you should see an entry called "Enabletray" with a value of ON. Simply change this to OFF and you should be free of that tray icon for good.

I did this, but had two problems.

First, that registry value wasn't there, so I had to add it.

Second, even after that, the icon still showed up. I had to reset my Q to actually get rid of it.

After that, it seems to be gone. Very Happy

Steve
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The registry entry is never present, you have to create the EnableTray field.

And after doing that you have to power off and power on the phone, because I believe the Pocket Controller app is already loaded and running with the settings it found at load time. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: