FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Qtek 8500 aka HTC Star Trek Review and Comparison Photos on the::unwired
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Qtek 8500 aka HTC Star Trek Review and Comparison Photos on Reply with quote

"Lightweight and ultra slim, the recently announced Qtek 8500 (aka HTC Star Trek or as it is called now "STRTrk") offers a comprehensive range of entertainment and office functions and incorporates a high quality camera that allow you to take full advantage of any free time. This stylish, but hard working mobile places you firmly in control with high speed Internet surfing and data downloads linked through the latest connectivity technologies like quad-band GSM, EDGE and Bluetooth."

Arne Hess over at the::unwired has got his hands on the Qtek 8500 which will be launched by i-mate as the SmartFlip and is also known as the HTC Star Trek. He has posted the part one of the review with tons of photographs and another post with the photographs comparing it with the benchmark slim-phone the RAZR, and the two Windows Mobile flip-phones the MPx220 and the MPx200. Drool..... Check them out over here:

REVIEW: Qtek 8500 Windows Mobile Smartphone aka HTC Star Trek - Part I
COMPARISON: How does the Qtek 8500 compares to other Clamshell phones
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive stuff - I find that I don't use WiFi on my SP5m right now much at all anyway, so that wouldn't stop me from getting this phone. That flat USB connector really ticks me off though, as does the microSD. miniSD still feels very new to me - I only have a 512mb miniSD so far, and with microSD cards topping out at 1GB, that's not much music (for us 256kbps MP3 types). Still, neither of this things are stopping me from lusting after this phone. Laughing
egads
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one, but I've not seen/read anywhere that I will be able to purchase one of these in the USA anytime soon...

It may be a good thing that I can't buy one now, maybe a better flip phone will come out in the mean time! I have great hopes of Microsoft or Dell comming out with a killer flip device...
Arne Hess
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egads wrote:
I want one, but I've not seen/read anywhere that I will be able to purchase one of these in the USA anytime soon...

HTC said and confirmed during the CTIA earlier this year, that it plans to bring the Star Trek to the U.S. as well: http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2983
Quote:
It may be a good thing that I can't buy one now, maybe a better flip phone will come out in the mean time! I have great hopes of Microsoft or Dell comming out with a killer flip device...

Sure, you can always wait for something better but in this case I wouldn't bet on Microsoft. And Dell hasn't has any mobile phone experience yet. All the Dell stuff were rumors so far and never got proved.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with the microSD card, I could live with the strange RAZR keypad, but do we really need the goofy music buttons? And why does there have to be a PINK one? Arrrrrgh!

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
{ISV-K}SVX
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one SEXY device!
Arne Hess
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
I could live with the microSD card, I could live with the strange RAZR keypad, but do we really need the goofy music buttons? And why does there have to be a PINK one? Arrrrrgh!

Does these buttons bothers you that much? Found it pretty hand last weekend when I was in the park, enjoying the sun and listened my music.
Regarding the pink - don't forget the Qtek 8500 is launched in three colors: black, silver and pink; not to mention that the pink RAZR was a best seller. So indeed, there is a real market for pink phones, even if it isn't my choice neither. Wink
mzh
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: the Music buttons.. Reply with quote

You know, I think the music buttons on the exterior make a ton of sense.

If you choose to use the device in lieu of an iPod Nano, HTC has made it easier with the inclusion of the exterior buttons and the use of the exterior display to provide basic music information.

The biggest downsides, I think, are the lack of standard audio jack and the relatively small (at current) storage size.

The biggest unknowns:
Battery life: how much will it suffer?
Sound quality: is the audio quality acceptable?

Now before anyone gets all crazy about the iPod comment, I'm not saying that the Star Trek can out and out replace an iPod. I've had an iPod since you could use them with Windows. I like my iPod (3G) for long trips (airplane flights, long distance car rides, et cetera).. but I can see using this device while running or working out.

I'm really looking forward to this telephone. I'm hoping Cingular will carry their own version - it'll finally replace my aging, beat up MPx220.

Ron.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music buttons make me nuts! I am on a personal crusade to keep Smartphones from becoming anything remotely resembling a music player! Cool
...and another thing, PINK phones should be illegal to sell or own!

Ok I feel better now.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
mzh
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh!

I forgot to say: thanks Mr. Hess for the info!

Ron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: