FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Switching Wireless Carriers to Save Money: Anyone Doing It?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Switching Wireless Carriers to Save Money: Anyone Doing It? Reply with quote

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/art...,RSS,RSS,00.asp

"Last week, I offered advice for existing wireless customers on getting the best price for a new smart phone. One option I didn't mention is switching service providers, and that's what I ended up doing. I switched from Cingular to Sprint when I wanted to upgrade to a Palm Treo 650 but not pay the full price. I'll explore that option this week. Why did I make the switch? I had a couple reasons...So I paid $300 for a Treo 650 from Sprint. Given that I was still under contract with Cingular, however, that carrier hit me with a $150 early termination fee. Thus, I paid a total of $450 for the Treo 650, which is $75 more than what I'd pay if I'd stayed with Cingular."

The author goes on to say that by switching to Sprint and the $10 a month plan for web/email, he'll save in the long run. Have any of you switched wireless carriers to save money? Or do the devices available on a certain network lure you away? In this case the Treo was available on all the networks, but with Windows Mobile devices that's often not the case - if you want the Treo 700w, you're going with Verizon.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from Verizon to Cingular primarily for the equipment available. The roll over minutes appealed to me too.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
aarcam
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It aint like it use to be. It seems there is little to no benefit in today’s society staying with a company for a long time. That is the reason I switched form Sprint. I wanted to upgrade my phone and they wouldn’t offer me squat. I decided I was done with proprietary hardware and poor customer interaction and went with Cingular (so maybe it was a lateral move…). As soon as I was walking out the door Sprint offered me all kinds of deals on phones and plans. Asking for it as a loyal customer of 5 years I was denied. As a potentially lost customer I was offered all kinds of goodies.

As for saving $, I don’t know that it worked. I have roll over minutes and a slightly cheaper plan, but I bought a more expensive phone out of contract to get what I wanted (SP5). I guess it is how I met all you clowns so it is alright.

It is an interesting condition today that the longer you are with a company the more likely you will get screwed. Credit cards and cell phone providers are all the same. Ask for a better rate or special deals and they will laugh. Call them to cancel and they will give you their first born. Great business model.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aarcam wrote:
I guess it is how I met all you clowns so it is alright.

Clowns? #Afro

aarcam
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
Clowns? #Afro

I hope you did not take offense, I did not mean it in a bad way. I have been hanging around here for quite some time and read all of posts here almost daily. I don’t post much because I usually get beat to it on the stuff I do know and don’t have a whole lot to add to the stuff I don’t know.

If anyone takes offense, I hereby officially substitute super funny peeps for #Afro.

That is a nice clown by the way.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres so much more involved when switching carriers then just the device price. did this person even bother to check to see what coverage was like in the area surronding his house or the top 5 places he visits? sure he could be saving a couple bucks a month but whats the point if the phone doesn't works in the areas where he's using it?

the best thing anyone could do if they were looking to make the jump is to talk to their neighbors and find out who they are using and what kind of reception they get in the areas around their homes, then talk to your co-workers and see who they are using and what kind of reception they are getting at work. then after you weighed both of those options go to that carriers stores and ask an employee to show you what service looks like with their online map tool. every company has one and if the sales person tries to tell you they don't its because they know that the service doesn't look that great on paper.

once thats all said and done research the phones online and look at some consumer reports sites or if its a smartphone browse around the smartphone sites to see what people are saying about.

whatever you do dont just jump into a new two year contract with a company because you'll save a few bucks because not all companies have a 30 day return policy like cingular, everyone else only has a 14 day return policy and the day you get the phone is day one. come in on day "15" and your SOL if you dislike the service... but you'll be saving a few bucks so who cares right? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aarcam wrote:
Jerry Raia wrote:
Clowns? #Afro

I hope you did not take offense, I did not mean it in a bad way. I have been hanging around here for quite some time and read all of posts here almost daily. I don’t post much because I usually get beat to it on the stuff I do know and don’t have a whole lot to add to the stuff I don’t know.

If anyone takes offense, I hereby officially substitute super funny peeps for #Afro.

That is a nice clown by the way.

No I took it as a compliment, I just called the other editors goons in an email so feel good about it. Laughing

Ok back on topic. For me the gadgets are Number 1 priority. I trade almost anything for better devices. They have to work of course.

Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this goon isn't jumping ship anytime soon. I've got the cheapest data plan in Canada and the carrier doesn't offer it anymore! So until something changes, I'm not going anywhere. Mr. Green
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
Well, this goon isn't jumping ship anytime soon. I've got the cheapest data plan in Canada and the carrier doesn't offer it anymore! So until something changes, I'm not going anywhere. Mr. Green

Ok Mike, that makes you a clown now too. Laughing

Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:

ewwwwwwwwwww, canada Wink

JUST KIDDING! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: