FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Motorola Q Review by PC Magazine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Motorola Q Review by PC Magazine Reply with quote

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,189...,1967188,00.asp

"It's the Q, the Motorola Q. The RAZR-thin Motorola Q is the coolest smartphone in America. It's a terrific voice phone, a dandy music player, and a swell e-mail machine. Just be warned: Expensive service plans mean it isn't as cheap as it appears. The Q is an unusually wide (2.5 inches), very flat (0.5 inches thick) 4-ounce slab with a bright 320-by-240 screen and a raised, angled QWERTY keyboard. There's a scroll wheel and button on the side, just like those on BlackBerry devices, and a five-way cursor pad above the keyboard, like the ones on Palm Treo handhelds. You can use both sets of keys for navigation, making the Q unusually convenient to use with one hand. A miniSD card slot sits on the edge opposite from the scroll wheel."

Sascha Segan over at PC Magazine is very impressed with the Moto Q in spite of some of the issues he encountered. The thing that I was happy to read was - "For voice quality, the Q is the best Verizon smartphone I've tested." Smile Am I the only one annoyed by the fact that the push e-mail or MSFP is not available at this time on the Q in spite of the delayed launch? Confused

Last edited by Kris Kumar on Fri May 26, 2006 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not sure what all the hype is about with this phone. I'm glad it's getting good reviews and all but what is it really offering that other phones don't? Is it because it's from Verizon? I wouldn't trade my the Q plus $$$ (well, it depends how much) Wink for my SDA (gotta have my wifi). Since I have my BT keyboard, I can care less about the thumb board. An then after all that it doesn't even ship with the update for true push mail? How is this phone really any better than the 2125, 8125, MDA, 700w, or the SDA. I honestly think it's a good phone and people will like it. I just don't see what all the hype is about.
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNET has a good writeup as well, giving it an eight out of ten

It's cons

1> NO BLUETOOTH WIRELESS MODEM CAPABILITY! WHAT THE HECK!?
2> Face Juice smudging of the screen is apparent (well, ok, they didn't say "face juice")
3> No Wi-Fi
4> No cameraless version
5> No analog roaming - uhhh WHO CARES, thats all but dead already.

They call it a "sexy little package" - perfect for Jerry!

-Edgar
seaflipper
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar wrote:
CNET has a good writeup as well, giving it an eight out of ten

It's cons

1> NO BLUETOOTH WIRELESS MODEM CAPABILITY! WHAT THE HECK!?
2> Face Juice smudging of the screen is apparent (well, ok, they didn't say "face juice")
3> No Wi-Fi
4> No cameraless version
5> No analog roaming - uhhh WHO CARES, thats all but dead already.

Just a few points on these comments

1) Apparently Verizon will be supporting DUN with this via BT or USB cable shortly, along with the update for AUK2 & push email. I have confirmed with Verizon PR that an upgrade for the device is planned for release ASAP, much like the 700w.

2) I have yet to have a phone that DOESN'T show off my lovely face juice Smile

4) Verizon hasn't denied a cameraless version, the Q is apparently just the first of many in a family of "Q-ish" products
seaflipper
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crispeto wrote:
To be honest, I'm not sure what all the hype is about with this phone. I'm glad it's getting good reviews and all but what is it really offering that other phones don't? Is it because it's from Verizon? I wouldn't trade my the Q plus $$$ (well, it depends how much) Wink for my SDA (gotta have my wifi). Since I have my BT keyboard, I can care less about the thumb board. An then after all that it doesn't even ship with the update for true push mail? How is this phone really any better than the 2125, 8125, MDA, 700w, or the SDA. I honestly think it's a good phone and people will like it. I just don't see what all the hype is about.

I just don't think you can underestimate the allure of the builtin thumb board. In reality, the BT keyboards are nicer and easier to use than the builtin keyboards, but you still have to stop and get it out and turn it on and then connect to your SDA. The fact is that that the market for that type of hassle is very very limited.

I see more and more women carrying Treo's these days. I see more and more people of ALL ages carrying Treo's these days. Email on the go and google on the go is in high demand, I totally see how the "sex appeal" of the Q along with it's feature set is totally driving the hype - despite the fact that it doesn't have Wi-Fi or offer significantly newer features over the other current crop of WM Smartphones.

The Q is going to bring the Smartphone OS to many more people than ever before. I think that the hype surrounding the MPX220 was similar, but then the device fell flat with bugs etc. Hopefully Moto has learned their lessons from that and the reason for the delays this time are that they worked out most of the bugs!
crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please understand that I think the Q is a great phone. Lots of features. I just don't necessarily see it as being better than what's already out there. I had a BB with a qwerty thumboard and it was fine but I like having my SDA with the BT keyboard MUCH better. I think whether or not it's a hassle is up to the individual user. It's not a hassle at all for me. Typing on a thumb board is actually more of a hassle for me. There is just so much hype surrounding this phone and that's the part I don't quite get.
seaflipper
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crispeto wrote:
Please understand that I think the Q is a great phone. Lots of features. I just don't necessarily see it as being better than what's already out there. I had a BB with a qwerty thumboard and it was fine but I like having my SDA with the BT keyboard MUCH better. I think whether or not it's a hassle is up to the individual user. It's not a hassle at all for me. Typing on a thumb board is actually more of a hassle for me. There is just so much hype surrounding this phone and that's the part I don't quite get.

I hear what you are saying - I was just trying to explain what all the hype is about, which is what you asked about Laughing
crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if some of the hype of because of the marketing. "it's coming" "it's delayed" "it's coming, I think" "ooops, it's delayed again." Now that it's here ( and has good reviews) I think it's created quite a buzz. I think if audiovox just came out with this phone yesterday and no one had heard of it before, I don't think we'd be as wow-ed. But it's Verizon and Moto that we're talking about. I might just be weird though-I never really understood the whole ipod craze either Laughing
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hype - I would say is because of the form factor - the size, the keyboard, landscape screen, the scroll-wheel and now to some extent the price.

Blackberry form factor is known to be bulky, chunky, clunky...Moto has redefined the form factor.

Now that Moto has provided the hardware, it needs to be seen if software can live up to the expectations of the world.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seaflipper wrote:
The Q is going to bring the Smartphone OS to many more people than ever before.

seaflipper, it seems like Ed (our buddy Ed Zander, CEO of Moto) agrees with you - Motorola exec sees high sales for Moto Q - "Motorola estimates 750,000 sales of the Q in the first 90 days, 1.5 million in the succeeding 90 days and 3 million the three months after that."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: